Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 wifi drops all the time every 2 minutes or less

carpeDiem3
Aspirant

RBR750 wifi drops all the time every 2 minutes or less

I am using 2 Orbi RBR750's with a total of 4 satellites, both of the RBR750s are used as access points connected to separate ports on my Firewalla. with separate IP ranges and isolated from each other. the 5 g channels are set separate from each other , one is 36 and the other 48, 2.4 is set to auto.  So I use one with 3 satellites for my home and one with one satellite for my guest network.  ( all in the same space) 

Ever since I setup the second one for the guest setup, it constantly drops the Wi-Fi network, I mean every minute. 

home network runs on V4.6.8.2  (pushed update from Netgear due to the update problem)

guest network runs on V4.6.5.14   and I don't know where to download the newer version. 

Has anyone seen this problem before or has an idea on how to fix this ?

thank you 

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 wifi drops all the time every 2 minutes or less

@carpeDiem3 wrote:

I am using 2 Orbi RBR750's with a total of 4 satellites, both of the RBR750s are used as access points connected to separate ports on my Firewalla. with separate IP ranges and isolated from each other. the 5 g channels are set separate from each other , one is 36 and the other 48, 2.4 is set to auto.  < channel 1 should be set on one RBR and channel 11 should be set on the 2nd RBR. So I use one with 3 satellites for my home and one with one satellite for my guest network.  ( all in the same space) 

Ever since I setup the second one for the guest setup, it constantly drops the Wi-Fi network, I mean every minute.

Whats the size of this home? Sq ft. 

Having too much wifi signal running can cause problems:

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You also may need to turn down the power out put of the 2nd system to 25% and maybe set the 1st system to 50%. 

home network runs on V4.6.8.2  (pushed update from Netgear due to the update problem)

guest network runs on V4.6.5.14   and I don't know where to download the newer version. 

Guest Network would not be on or should be on a different FW version. AL RBR and RBS should be on same version FW level. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

Has anyone seen this problem before or has an idea on how to fix this ? No. I can run two Orbi systems. However channels, distances and transmit power need to be configured correctly. 

Message 2 of 10
carpeDiem3
Aspirant

What's

the size of this home? Sq ft.     Having too much wifi signal running can cause problems:

it is about 5500 sqft serving 2 living spaces 

What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

they all are 20  to 30 feet apart depending on the obstacles in the way , but its the router that is disconnecting , so the satellite is not even in the picture 

You also may need to turn down the power out put of the 2nd system to 25% and maybe set the 1st system to 50%. 

they are running independent on separate channels

Guest Network would not be on or should be on a different FW version. AL RBR and RBS should be on same version FW level. 

I wish I could but Netgear pulled V4.6.8.2 from their side (due to issues) prior to me installing the second network , and it specifically states not to downgrade from this version 

Has anyone seen this problem before or has an idea on how to fix this ? No. I can run two Orbi systems. However channels, distances and transmit power need to be configured correctly. 

I am almost certain that I configured it correctly , still the issue persists.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 10
DarkNet
Apprentice

Just curious.  Why do you use two RBR’s?  Why not one RBR and utilize the guest network on it?

Message 5 of 10
carpeDiem3
Aspirant

DarkNet

Just curious.  Why do you use two RBR’s?  Why not one RBR and utilize the guest network on it?

I use a firewall/ router to manage the entire network , if I use ORBI as another Router it wont give me insight into the network as it is not showing me a complete picture. My Firewall manages all groups/rules/VLANS/IP reservations/DHCP/security etc . So for that reason I use orbi as an AP and I cant use it as a guest network. interestingly enough I tried that once and all guests get an IP which does not show up on the FW. So using the second AP / Orbi Router  is for another network port on a guest Vlan. 

Not all devices on Wireless have the same rights on my network. 

Hope that explains that a bit 

Message 6 of 10
carpeDiem3
Aspirant

Message 7 of 10
DarkNet
Apprentice

Thanks.  Yes that explains it.  I have a pfSense firewall (your firewalla looks nice too) and use my single RBR850 in AP mode and use the guest SSID for IoT devices in the house.  I have 2 RBS’s.  You are correct that the guest SSID IPs don’t show up in the Router/FW and you can’t write rules for or manage that segment.  The guest SSID is supposed to be separated from the regular wifi (and LAN) and, for me anyway, that’s all I need.

Did you turn OFF the regular SSID wifi in your 2nd RBR as well as turn OFF the guest SSID wifi in your 1st RBR?

Message 8 of 10
carpeDiem3
Aspirant

Yeah I want control over what goes in and out of the network , even on the guest Wi-Fi,, I also need to have rules depending on who you are when you log into guest. so I can isolate that traffic. 

I did turn off Guest SSID on the primary, what would turning OFF the regular SSID wifi in your 2nd RBR do >?

the second SSID has guest disabled the same as the primary and runs trough the FW on a segregated network outbound. So the second  SSID broadcasts for Guest users to connect to only the internet ,,,,, (if) I move them out of Quarantine. 

Message 9 of 10
DarkNet
Apprentice

Yes you’re right.  For a sec I was thinking you used the guest SSID on the 2nd RBR.  You’re using the primary wifi on both.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7