Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 IPv6 dropping from Xfinity XB7 hourly

yetimemphis
Guide

RBR850 IPv6 dropping from Xfinity XB7 hourly

I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer to this issue.  I have the RBR853 mesh system.  Xfinity gig internet.  I have no problem pulling a IPv6 address from the XB7 modem.  And the Orbi pulls it upon a reboot or reset.  Every time in the recent couple months, the IPv6 address is gone from the Orbi system within 1-12 hours.  If I reboot, it comes back.  Power cycling everything does NOT fix the issue.  I have NOT tried a full restore to factory reset option because I'm afraid it will force me to relogin and setup everything again.  (We have nearly 100 devices connected at any given time.)

I have noticed things around the house run much more smoothly when IPv6 is available.  And the speeds are better too.

Has anyone else had this?

Do any of the "unofficial" firmware updates purport to address this?  I'm currently on version 4.6.3.16.  

I'm not network saavy, but I am a fast learner.  

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 52

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yetimemphis wrote:

It seems like using the Orbi in AP mode while the modem is unbridged would be the simplest method.  That said, would turning off the routing functions keep the satellites from working or cause other significant losses?  I have an Xbox wired to one of the satellites and the modem (XB7) and router (Orbi) are in the center of house.  The Xbox is in a corner.  It needs the wired connection to a satellite to function well.

I also have a similar setup: XB7 + RBK754 + IPv6 enabled + Brigde mode initially, but I've since switched Orbi to AP mode.

XB7 routing + DNS + DHCP + IPv6 functions are already validated by Comcast within their network/servers and Orbi is a WiFi beast in AP.  If Comcast makes any change to their internal servers or XB7 firmware, I don't have to worry about compatibility issue with XB7 not wrking after XB7 firmware update or Orbi firmware update.

This setup will help me avoid any potential compatibility issue between XB7 DNS/DHCP (IPv6) servers and Orbi. I also get FREE parental control, which is disabled with XB7 in Bridge mode. XB7 parental control is a big improvement comparing to paid Orbi parental control.

Unless you're using a specific feature that's only available when Orbi is in Router mode and that feature is missing from XB7 as well, switching to AP mode will simpify your WiFi network with less headache due to compatibility issues as a result of firmware updates.

Orbi_v4.6.7.5.png

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 52

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The XB7 is a modem/router combo device and can cause a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

have you went through this first to fix the double nat issue?

Message 2 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

It is not a double NAT issue.  I have the XB7 in bridge mode.  I've had it in bridge mode since getting it because it was cheaper to use the XB7 once I had to utilize the unlimited data option because of our usage needs.  Otherwise, I would have purchased my own modem.  But, I envision that there will be a "free" upgrade to the XB7 before the rental price of it would be outweighed by the purchase price of another modem.

Plus, if the Orbi is sucessfully pulling the IPv6 address from the "bridged" XB7 and will keep it for multiple hours before it disappears, I don't think it's a modem or ISP issue.

It seems like the IPv6 address(es) would be dynamic (is that the right term?) and they change every so often.  And only when they change does the Orbi then not recognize it unless I reboot it and has to "pull" it again from the then-current dynamic IPv6 address.

I also know it's not a double NAT because I had that problem with our Xbox months ago until I put the modem in bridge mode.  Even when the modem was a NG modem.  (I had one with wifi capabilities that I had not turned off because I had used it someplace where one router/wifi combo was sufficient, but our new house is larger, thus the satellite system w/ Orbi.)

Any other suggestions to keep IPv6 in the system?

Message 3 of 52
plemans
Guru

It wouldn't be the first isp supplied device that had issues in bridge mode. 

Have you tried the other options? Either using its dmz while the xb7 is in router mode (disable its wifi) or the orbi in access point mode?

Message 4 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Is one a better option than the other?  I have not tried to use anything other than bridge mode.  It seemed to start when Xfinity did some upgrades to all their IPv6 network in our area.  However, I have confirmed I can get IPv6 on a laptop connected directly to the XB7 while in bridge mode.

Message 5 of 52
plemans
Guru

Not really. 

You could try either one. 

Message 6 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

It seems like using the Orbi in AP mode while the modem is unbridged would be the simplest method.  That said, would turning off the routing functions keep the satellites from working or cause other significant losses?  I have an Xbox wired to one of the satellites and the modem (XB7) and router (Orbi) are in the center of house.  The Xbox is in a corner.  It needs the wired connection to a satellite to function well.

Message 7 of 52
plemans
Guru

No. The satellites should all work fine. If does disable some features but leaves the XB7 controlling them. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 8 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

So to enact this option, I need to hardwire into the XB7 and take it OUT of bridge mode and back to "normal", right?  Then, once that is done, set the Orbi into AP mode.  Power cycle off the modem and Orbi and then see what shakes out?

Does that mean all the IPv6 and network tools available from the xfinity app would then be restored and the Orbi app basically functionless for any management and status monitoring (like, seeing the sync status of satellites and what devices are connected, etc.)?

Message 9 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Also, would using an Arris S33 or Netgear CM2000 just be a better default option?  I would obviously be out the cost, but renting (and not using) the XB7 is still cheaper ($25/mo) than just paying the $30/mo for unlimited data.

Is there a way I could repurpose the XB7 in-house here if I did this?  I've tried to think about it, but I'm not smart enough to come up with any ideas on this issue.

Message 10 of 52
plemans
Guru

@yetimemphis wrote:

So to enact this option, I need to hardwire into the XB7 and take it OUT of bridge mode and back to "normal", right?  Then, once that is done, set the Orbi into AP mode.  Power cycle off the modem and Orbi and then see what shakes out?-----Correct. 

Does that mean all the IPv6 and network tools available from the xfinity app would then be restored---correct. you'd be able to use all the xfinity services.  and the Orbi app basically functionless for any management and status monitoring (like, seeing the sync status of satellites and what devices are connected, etc.)? you still have quite a few option available use to/manage. I pretty regularly use my orbi setup in AP mode and use a standard router for management. You could always try the DMZ option and see if that works better for you

Message 11 of 52
Mikey94025
Hero

I also have the XB7 (in bridge mode) and Xfinity unlimited option, connected to my Orbi.  I do not run IPv6.  Have you really noticed that things run more smoothly and substantive speeds with IPv6?

I haven't done any testing but I suspect my household network speeds are predominantly limited by wi-fi and not IPv6.  I do not have any network issues not using IPv6 with my XB7.  You might want to recheck your assertion about needing IPv6 before making complicated changes to your Xfinity modem and Orbi.

Message 12 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

The testing I've shown once I noticed it falling off seems to support this:

Using the Orbi app to "Test My Speed" once the IPv6 has fallen off and no longer appears, I get downloads of 800-1.1G.  Once I reboot and run the same test, I get downloads of 1.4+G.  The XBox shows similar dropp off numbers (300 vs 150) and some of my smart devices have trouble getting back on or responding once IPv6 disappears.

It's no major issue to the point I'd consider my network dysfunctional or severely limiting.  It's more that I wonder why it's there one minute and then disappears the next, presumably due to the Orbi role in things.  I don't know if I would see significant improvements and consistency with IPv6 over the long term, but I guess I'm just one that likes to take advantage of all the options available to me, including having both IPv4 and v6 at the ready.

Message 13 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Your current FW version has been problematic since it's release. You can try this and see if this helps any:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Also, if you have a built in router at the modem, and if your usnig the Orbi system in router mode, I would use the modems DMZ or IP Pass thru feature for the RBR while in router mode. This helps avoid the double NAT condition. 

Might be a good test to see if you notice the slow down if you put the Orbi system in AP mode with the modem in router mode. No DMZ needed here.

Message 14 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

I had seen the new FW post and was curious about it.  I took the leap and installed it.  No problems installing and everything is up and running.  Admin site shows updated versions on update page but still lists V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 in the upper right corner of the page as what the current version is.  I powered everything off, including XB7, and brought it all back up.

In first couple tests, ones that were running 129-165 down are up to 315-450 down.  Ping is better on satellite.  

IPv6 is showing across the board on router and satellite connected devices.  We'll see if that holds....

Message 15 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

Ran another test and hit 700 down on the XBox upstairs.  That NEVER happened before mid-day on previous FW version.  

Message 16 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser did you use to update the RBS and RBR? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches prior to loading the FW files. 

Is this version appearing on the RBS, RBR or both? 

You might send the FW file to the RBS and RBR using MS Edge or FireFox. 

I did happen to noticed that when sending the FW file to my RBR, the 1st try didn't seem to take and nothing was seen on the RBR when a confirm reboot window should have been seen. I sent the file again while still at the manual update windows and on the 2nd try, the RBR seem to take it and the Rebooting now, please wait finally appeared. I'd try again. Be sure you see this Rebooting Now, please wait screen is seen after sending the FW file. The RBS took on 1st try and got the rebooting progress circle for me. 

Be sure to verify FW versions on the RBS web page as well.  

Message 17 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

I'm an all Mac iOS system over here.  I used Safari for everything.  I cleared history and re-logged in again, and now it shows V4.6.7.5(((_2.1.7))) across the board -- at main page (top right), and on the RBR and both RBS in the firmware update page as being the current version with no new updates available.  Although, one of the satellites seems to get stuck on "please wait a moment..." while the other satellite gets all the way to "no new firmware available".

Aside from that, everything appears normal and operational. 

The satellite login page shows:

Hardware Version: RBS850
Firmware Version : V4.6.7.5
Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (2.4GHz)
Name (SSID) : The ******
Channel : 6
Region : United States
Wireless mode : Up to 573 Mbps
Wirless AP : On
Broadcast Name : On
Security type : WPA2-PSK
Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (5GHz)
Name (SSID) : The *****
Channel: 36+40+44+48(P)
Region : United States
Wireless mode: Up to 2401 Mbps
Wirless AP : On
Broadcast Name: On
Security type: WPA2-PSK
Message 18 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

ah ok. Kewl, glad it was just a cache thing. 
Thanks for the additional info. Looks good. See how it works for you. Again be aware of the double that thing and try the IP Pass thru or DMZ for the RBR. 

Message 19 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

UPDATE:

IPv6 is gone again.  Orbi not pulling it from XB7 modem.  However, it seems like the firmware has improved satellite communication with the router.  Now seeing wireless backhauled RBS's pulling 500 Down speeds to devices (like Xbox) wired to them.  

This is an improvement.  

Full family is home so max data is running during these tests.  Multiple ipads, xbox live gaming, 2 4k tv's, this computer, etc.

I can't think of any other options to maintain the IPv6 stability but I'll forego worrying about it if these higher download speeds hold. 

Message 20 of 52
FarmerBob1
Luminary

I have had issues with IPv6 about 2/3rds of the way through the v2 FW. Up until then, perfect.

I did the v4.6.6.11 install in a very complex and "sterile" way compaired to a "dirty" install just over laying the new over the old. Once set up IPv6 just happened. Yay. And it stayed up for a couple of days. It's down now. I use to be able to reboot the RBR and it would come back for a bit. Now it's a crap shoot and I do feel a difference. So I'm hoping that they will get this resolved soon.

Message 21 of 52
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yetimemphis wrote:

I also have a similar setup: XB7 + RBK754 + IPv6 enabled + Brigde mode initially, but I've since switched Orbi to AP mode.

XB7 routing + DNS + DHCP + IPv6 functions are already validated by Comcast within their network/servers and Orbi is a WiFi beast in AP.  If Comcast makes any change to their internal servers or XB7 firmware, I don't have to worry about compatibility issue with XB7 not wrking after XB7 firmware update or Orbi firmware update.

This setup will help me avoid any potential compatibility issue between XB7 DNS/DHCP (IPv6) servers and Orbi. I also get FREE parental control, which is disabled with XB7 in Bridge mode. XB7 parental control is a big improvement comparing to paid Orbi parental control.

Unless you're using a specific feature that's only available when Orbi is in Router mode and that feature is missing from XB7 as well, switching to AP mode will simpify your WiFi network with less headache due to compatibility issues as a result of firmware updates.

Orbi_v4.6.7.5.png

Message 22 of 52
yetimemphis
Guide

This all sounds reasonable.  I noticed the wifi speeds seemed consistently better when I updated to the new FW yesterday.  Your reasoning and explanation of the AP mode issue seems to address all my conerns.  (IPv6 was there initially but has since fallen off and has not come back --- I'm sure it would if I rebooted the router).

I'll give AP a try this evening (which should be relatively easy to undo if it doesn't work) and report back.  

I like the idea of having the parental controls I "pay" for with renting the XB7 but that are unacessible in bridge mode.  I don't use a lot of features on the Orbi app, other than speed tests and monitoring connected devices when needed.  I don't even use the guest network feature.

Thanks!

Message 23 of 52
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yetimemphis wrote:

This all sounds reasonable.  I noticed the wifi speeds seemed consistently better when I updated to the new FW yesterday.  Your reasoning and explanation of the AP mode issue seems to address all my conerns.  (IPv6 was there initially but has since fallen off and has not come back --- I'm sure it would if I rebooted the router).

I'll give AP a try this evening (which should be relatively easy to undo if it doesn't work) and report back.  

I like the idea of having the parental controls I "pay" for with renting the XB7 but that are unacessible in bridge mode.  I don't use a lot of features on the Orbi app, other than speed tests and monitoring connected devices when needed.  I don't even use the guest network feature.

Thanks!

With XB7 in Router mode, install the xFi App and you'll see big a difference in term of what you're currently missing with XB7 in Brdige Mode, i.e., speed test, devices monitoring, parental control, security reports, etc.

Message 24 of 52
KMDonlon
Luminary

I reverted back to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 due to IPv6 issues with the two versions floating around... Seems not to pull it or it is very delayed get an IPv6 address to my phone and laptop yet it is instant using V4.6.3.16_2.0.51.... fortunately I am not experiencing too many problems with this release version.
Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7