Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 - Internet drops out

vattu
Tutor

RBR850 - Internet drops out

The internet connection stops working on the router from time to time. It can happen several times each day or a month can pass with no issues.

Only way to get internet back is to restart the router or cut power to it. I've ruled out that the fiber converter or other devices are the culprit.

When the router has lost its internet connection, it glows magenta. All devices (LAN and wireless) can connect to the router, login and see each other, but not the internet). The setup page of the router is sluggish.

I've tried changing network cable, updating firmware, resetting router settings, move it to a more ventilated place - nothing seems to work. I'll see if I can download some beta firmware. Hope you have any suggestions.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Does the front LED turn PINK when this happens? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Message 2 of 8
vattu
Tutor

Thank you FURRYe38 for taking your time helping me with this issue.

FW: V4.6.14.3_2.3.12
I think I've applied to try any beta versions. Haven't heard anything from Netgear yet.

ISP ONT Mfr: Inteno Broadband Technology AB
Model: XG6846
https://tinyurl.com/ypu43n5n
I have 1/1 Gbit per second. DHCP with public IP.

Internet cable is CAT6, and I've tried many cables, long and short ones.

I can't remember the color of the power LED when this occurs. The router ring LEDs are pulsing magenta, though.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the front LED turns PINK when this happens, means the RBR has lost internet services with the ISP ONT or the services has stopped working from the ISP:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP ONT and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

I would check with the ISP when this happens again to have them look at there ONT and services to see if they see anything during this time frame.

Message 4 of 8
vattu
Tutor

Today it happened again. I could see on one of the computers that the internet connection dropped at about 5 pm (2 h ago). I followed your steps, and it worked again. I think it would work with just a power cycle of the router.

I've written to my ISP now and asked if they could see anything useful in their logs.

I'll write here again whenever I get any new information.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Power cycle BOTH ONT and RBR. 

Message 6 of 8
vattu
Tutor

Yes, that's what I did. 🙂 

I got a quick reply from my ISP. They could see instability in the link between the fiber converter & my router (either in any of the ports or the cable). I followed their suggestion to try switch to another port in their fiber converter.

Let's see if the connection gets more stable. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements