Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850/RBS850 - Guest Network Cannot Access Computers

Faber42
Aspirant

RBR850/RBS850 - Guest Network Cannot Access Computers

How do I enable the Guest network to see computers on the main network?

Have both main and guest network configured and working, but cannot see IoT devices connected to guest from main or vice versa.

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850/RBS850 - Guest Network Cannot Access Computers

The original Orbi products have an option to allow devices on the guest network to interact with the primary network:

CrimpOn_0-1672415934188.png

My understanding is that the AX products do not have this feature.  (Assuming perhaps that  "guests" are temporary and need only internet access.)  I cannot find any mention of this in the RBR850 user manual and do not have one myself to check on.

I think, "You're screwed"

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX doesn't support Guest Network access to the main network. 

@Faber42 wrote:

How do I enable the Guest network to see computers on the main network?

Have both main and guest network configured and working, but cannot see IoT devices connected to guest from main or vice versa.

Message 3 of 7
Faber42
Aspirant

Thanks both.

What an absolutely crappy product regression!

Also makes a nonsense of the product prompted "recommendation" to use Guest network provisioning for IoT things.

Clearly whomsoever is responsible for these products have never had guests who may wish to add to a Google Cast music or karaoke playlist; or have Home Assistant to utilise devices locally, ETC.

Actually pretty appalled at this.

Had I known about this glaring product deficiency, I would have reconsidered the exorbitant cost.

Due to not only this newly identified defect, but also poor product performance and lack of configurability, at this time I COULD NOT RECOMMEND purchase of this product

As it is, I'll now have to plug in an older, separate router to obtain what misleading advertising literature suggests that this product can do. 

If Netgear staff bother to read the posts about their products herein, please consider this qualitative feedback for consideration and action, and we shall look forward to reading your substantive response in due course. But I shalln't be holding my breath. ☹️

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually would be a security reason for NOT having guest network access to the main network. Guest Network was never intended to have access. Some router mfrs and some NG older routers had some support. Giving GN access to the main network is a security risk thus NG probably eliminated this as time when on. 

Also GN was never designed or intended to be used for long term connections or IoT devices. GN IS for temporary and limited access to give Guests temporarly access to internet services only. Guest don't connect for long periods of time since they are Guests and not long term clients. Been like this since it's inception. 

If you don't feel Orbi is right for you, then I'm there there are are other alternatives. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@Faber42 wrote

Also makes a nonsense of the product prompted "recommendation" to use Guest network provisioning for IoT things.

Where did you hear or read this?  It may have been some individual customer opinion to do this, but it doesn't really make any difference and nor does it work with the Orbi AX systems.  My IoT devices connect to my main Orbi wireless SID.  I have the 9-series and have an extra radio that I can configure to be only 2.4Ghz for the small number of problematic IoT setup apps, but that radio still connects to my main Orbi network.

Message 6 of 7
Faber42
Aspirant

Actually @FURRYe38, whilst your high level comments are indicative of some other use cases, the general point stands that a later iteration of this product range has regressed to deliberately curtail any option for users to choose. 
Like being sold a five gear car and being told upon arrival that you'll need to use your own 5th gearbox in in you want to drive in 5th uphill, because the 5th gear as implemented, will only work if it is operating on a flat surface with wind in the right direction. 
Your conceptualisation of what a guest network can be purposed for, is not in universal agreement and you will forgive those of us having more exacting requirements, identifying introduced (since earlier iteration(s) had more functionalities) product deficiencies.
Your last throw away line is frankly condescending.
I consulted multiple sources prior to investing in Orbi, and having made such a, now discovered to be, poor decision, pointing out that in retrospect I should have thought even more carefully before purchasing deficient Netgear products and that I always had opportunities to made better choices, is not really helpful at all.
I suppose it only serves to highlight that EXPERIENCED USERs on this forum recognise that it is a questionable decision to choose to buy an Orbi. 🤔

@Mikey94025 LOL the NETGEAR Armor software suggested this as a recommendation, not any 3rd party source. 😖
Since I am not prepared to pay for an ongoing subscription in any case(!), that the optional software is found to be erroneous and counterproductive, is rendered rather moot. 
Your opinion that it doesn't make any difference is clearly incorrect, as is demonstrably highlighted by this thread.
You are absolutely right that we see that this is now an erroneous and/or superseded recommendation for this specific product. 
Your network use case differs to my own, and should I wish to have a separate SSID for my IoT complement of devices, that is a legitimate use case.
Moreover, that earlier (and cheaper!) iterations of this product are found to have some superior functionalities to this later iteration, is a highly pertinent point.
Netgear having removed support for it in this specific iteration of the product, therefore is worthy of question and comment, but thank you for your input anyway.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7