Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Speed Capped just below 40gbps

Bigtuna00
Aspirant

RBR850 Speed Capped just below 40gbps

Preface: I have observed a lot of threads about slow speeds, but they are all way faster than what I am seeing, so I'm starting a new post.

Context: had my internet service upgraded today to "gigacell" with "up to 100mbps". The upgrade only involved changing the modem/dish. The ISP topology is modem/dish <-> tufswitch managed switch <-> RBR850

Prior to the upgrade I ran a speedtest:

14996220558.png

After the upgrade:

15211746122.png

Meanwhile the tech showed me the speedtest result on his laptop at ~100Mpbs. And indeed, if I plug a laptop directly into their tufswitch, I get 80-100Mbps. As soon as I introduce the RBR850 I get <40Mbps.

Based on advice from several threads, I tried a factory reset. It made no difference:

15212190778.png

Router info:

Bigtuna00_0-1693956344915.png

I tried multiple devices and multiple cables. In all cases when directly connected to the switch, speeds appear as expected (80-100Mbps). Once the RBR850 is introduced, I get <40Mbps. Not really sure what to try next 😞

TIA.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of this managed switch? 

Do you get to spec speeds with your wired PC connected to this switch? 

Sounds like something on this switch maybe not working right or well with the Orbi RBR. 

Has a reset on the RBR with doing a power OFF of the RBR and this switch for 1 minuted then back ON then complete the setup wizard on the RBR with a web browser and not enabling any Armor, Access Controls, SPC or Traffic Meter been tried?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the switch and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 4
Bigtuna00
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply (and sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't get any notifications).

I hate to say it but it may have been a fluke. I'm now getting speeds >40Mbps. I never get 100Mbps when running through the RBR850 but I have seen ~75ish. There are ~40 devices on this network so I'm sure that has some effect. No idea why I was consistently getting 38-40 every time I did a speedtest for the first couple days 😞

Anyway thanks for looking.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time if you do see this issue again, try this:

Power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Glad it's working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series