Re: RBR850 and RBS850 wired backhaul kills satellite connection

OrbiOrNot
Aspirant

RBR850 and RBS850 wired backhaul kills satellite connection

I own the following Orbi devices:

1 RBR850 Router

3 RBS850 Satellites.

Edgerouter V4 router

CAT6E cabling from RBR to router and 2 RBS's. These have a home run connection to my router.

AP mode turned on

I have had this setup for about two years in which I have two satellites set up with wired backhaul and one with wireless.  Everything seems to work fine and I could use my iPhone app to check the connection status of the satellites as well as verify that various devices were connecting to the satellite they were closes two.  In other words, everything was working as expected.

This week, I detected connection issues when streaming video and realized that both wired backhaul satellites were not connected.  I don't know how long it has been this way but it could have been for a few months.  I started debugging and decided to focus on just one satellite (unplugged all the others).  I first saw that the satellite was on version V4.6.9.11 but the router was on version V4.6.14.3.  I decided to update the satellite.  You have to use the web interface to do updates so I logged into orbilogin.com but it didn't show the satellite as available.  Therefore, I couldn't update it.  I then decided to downgrade the router to match.  I was able to do this but still not luck in getting the satellite to connect.  I then decided to unplug the wired backhaul connection and lo and behold it connected!  So now I had both at V4.6.9.11 but decided, why not go for the latest version?  I updated them both to the latest version - V7.2.6.21.  I went ahead and did that and it seemed to work.  So then I reconnected the wired backhaul and guess what?  The satellite lost connection and disappeared from orbilogin.com.  I can easily repeat this - remove wire, connects, connect wire, disconnect.  Even stranger, the iPhone app shows it connected!

Here is my summary:

RBR850 and RB850 at V7.2.6.21

• Wired backhaul kills the link between the RBS850 and the RBR850.  Removing the wired connection allows it to sync.
  • iPhone apps satellite as connected (Green) but orbilogin.com doesn't even show the satellite in its list

Before you suggest I just stick with wireless, I live in a large house and some areas don't have good wireless connection to the router.  I have CAT6E cabling to all rooms in the house and I would prefer to use that for the backhaul. Any help would be appreciated!!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
OrbiOrNot
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  You helped me figure it out!  I had checked this page https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... at least 10 times and was pretty sure that my config matched this:

OrbiOrNot_0-1710942397427.png

When I saw your post, I thought I might as well check my setup one more time.  It turns out I had plugged the cable into the yellow port on the router which is not how it should be set up.  It has to be one of the other ports,  So how did I end up this way?  I remember moving things around and I guess when I moved the router I inadvertently plugged the cable in the wrong port.

I'm back to the wired backhaul connections working.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that when in router or AP Mode, that the RBS are ethernet connected BEHIND the RBR router and not conected to the upstream host router. RBS need to be connected behind the RBR for proper sync and operation when ethernet connected:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡 ‌‌🛰

I'ts best to first wirelessly sync all the RBS to the RBR to ensure they get a good first sync and connection and configured by the RBR. Once this fully complete, then ethernet connect them to the RBR to get the BH configured and running. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 4
OrbiOrNot
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  You helped me figure it out!  I had checked this page https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... at least 10 times and was pretty sure that my config matched this:

OrbiOrNot_0-1710942397427.png

When I saw your post, I thought I might as well check my setup one more time.  It turns out I had plugged the cable into the yellow port on the router which is not how it should be set up.  It has to be one of the other ports,  So how did I end up this way?  I remember moving things around and I guess when I moved the router I inadvertently plugged the cable in the wrong port.

I'm back to the wired backhaul connections working.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7