Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 as router, or AP?

nusaka
Aspirant

RBR850 as router, or AP?

I've currently got my RBR850 setup as my router. It's functioning adequately. I managed to add my fibre ISP details to it and it's working as it should. I also have a fixed IP which I use for some internal services on my Unraid server.

However, I saw a post on here that suggested to not do that, but instead use the router that came from my ISP and just use the Orbi in AP mode and it got me thinking - what's the recommended setup? I still use my internal services if I do port forwarding at the router, but wondered if there was a consensus on the best approach.

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850 as router, or AP?

Consensus - in your dreams!

Having "more than one router" definitely makes specific applications much more complicated.  It doesn't bother thousands of users, but those who are affected find the situation awful.  (Internet search for "Double NAT" for examples).

The post appears to indicate that the ISP router is "out of the picture" and the Orbi connects directly to the fiber Optical Network Termination (ONT).  This allows you to take advantage of any of the Orbe router features that are of interest (Armor, Smart Parental Controls, port forwarding, etc.)

I see no reason to change.  One of the forum mantras is, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Message 2 of 6

@nusaka wrote:

However, I saw a post on here that suggested to not do that, but instead use the router that came from my ISP and just use the Orbi in AP mode and it got me thinking - what's the recommended setup?

As @CrimpOn says, if it works fine.

Problems can arise in various scenarios. You just need to remember this when something odd happens.

For example, you may have to work out how to use a web browser to get at the graphical user interface (GUI) of both devices.

And if you ever do something that prompts the RBR850 to renegotiate its network connection, it may see the other router and adapt its own settings accordingly.

So it is probably a good idea to create a backup of the Orbi settings so that you can recover if things go wrong.

How do I back up the configuration settings on my Orbi WiFi System? - NETGEAR Support

The same warnings may apply to the other router.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 6

Is it illegal to put the same post in two places?

Makes sense to me.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Usually has been leading to spam posts. We'll see I guess. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7