Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 fails to maintain settings with a power outage, or any disruption to the system.

RBR850 fails to maintain settings with a power outage, or any disruption to the system.

I was directed here by another member. Hoping I did not make a posting error.
I have an RBR850, which I got approximately 1 year ago. I also have 2 Satellites. Whenever there is a power outage the system stops function by virtue of losing all settings. Yesterday, my wife unplugged a Satellite and that did the same thing. I simply did a factory reset and redid the same settings, just as if I got a new router. The router will not function with inputting the same settings forcing me to set up a new network SSID and network password. This has happened so many times its becoming a nightmare. I spent 8 hours trying to recover with the same settings with no success. I retrieved an older netgear and reinstalled it, inputting the same previous settings. That worked. But I would prefer the Orbi. Could there be a fault in the unit? Anybody else experience this? Thanks for any input, advice or guidance.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 fails to maintain settings with a power outage, or any disruption to the system.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You may need to update FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 16

Re: RBR850 fails to maintain settings with a power outage, or any disruption to the system.

I double checked my version.
It is "V4.6.3.16"
Hoping for guidance.
Jeff
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I recommend you update FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 4 of 16

Hello,

Thank you for advising me to updat to the most recent FW.  I followed your directions and successfully updated to the version you provided  

which is "V4.6.7.5".  After I had the router up and running I ran a test by cutting power to the router to see if when powered on, it would hold its wifi settings.  It did.

I did this on a controlled limited basis utilizing only 2 devices and not my 2 satellites. Since it seems to work, I will roll back the version to where it was, then update the firmware on both the satellites, then the router.  Then I will fully engage and hope for the best.

Thank you for your fast help, and patience!

Please let me know if you disagree with my methodology.

Jeff Rinek

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

For problem reproduction you can revert back to the version where you had seen it of course. Or just maintain whats currently working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping on the current loaded version of FW. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 16

Today I returned the FW of the router back to the previous one in order to update the FW on both satellites first, then the router last. I was able to update the FW on both satellites and router to v4.6.7.5. I was able to get to the internet but for some as yet unknown reason my Samsung s21 Ultra was unable to connect. I get the IP unknown error. I went back to the backup router and powered off the RBR850. I am frustrated but also thankful for the help. Has anyone failed to get the RBR850 functional? At what point is effort no longer justify the time? I will not stop but I don't have the knowledge or experience to know when there is no hope.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a full on factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Turn OFF the RBS temporarily while you reset the RBR. 

Once setup, test your phone with the RBR. It should connect. Be sure to use WPA2 and AES only. 

Thought I don't have a Sansung 21 ultra, my other Samsung devices connect fine. 

Might try setting CTS value to 2347 on the RBR. 

Try changing the default DHCP IP address pool to .100 to .200. How I set mine up. 

Message 8 of 16

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I will follow your guidance and advise. I want to say that previously when I lost power and the RBR850 internet connectivity, the only resolution was the factory reset followed by setting up a completely new SSID and password, then going to every device and setting each of them up for the new SSID and password. Depending on your guidance, I was hoping to follow your direction but to use the old SSID and password, hoping to avoid reprogramming the individual devices.
Thanks much for your guidance and patience! Jeff
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 16

I live rurally in the foot hills of the Sierra Nevada. Our internet comes in on radio waves. There is a repeater mounted on our house. It's been there for 6 years. Never a problem or issue before the Orbi. I'll see what information I can retrieve from it, and send a pic. I have frequently powered it off and on in trying to address the orbi issue.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was just curious on what you are using. We look for any kind of router at the ISP HW point. I presume your wireless ISP doesn't have this. I have a uncle in similar rural area where he gets his internet from wireless services as well. 

Message 12 of 16

Today, I factory set the RBR850 before powering on the 2 satellites. I followed the set up from the wireless portal. As soon as a renamed the SSID and change the password to the prior one, I lost internet access, and was unsuccessful in my attempts to regain the internet connection.
I then went and powered off the satellites and did another factory reset. This time I connected a desktop computer to the RBR850 via direct ethernet. It set up without incident. Full wireless connectivity with all devices. I am using it now and at some point I'll need to test by cutting power or waiting for the next power outage. I am not certain I should mark this as solved, and think I'll wait until it is tested. I'm a little gunshy at this point because it is a lot of work and I want to feel good about it for a few days.
Thanks for the amazing guidance and remarkable patience! Jeff Rinek
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. If the settings still loose the configuration, possible there is a HW failure at the RBR. May need to be replaced.

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file prior to testing the RBR again. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 14 of 16

Hello. I finally had to cut power to the RBR850 due to repositioning the RBR850. As before the WIFI will not reconnect. I will have to reconfigure every WIFI setting. After the last reply, it seems possible there is a hardware issue. Does anyone know if Netgear will work with me to replace the unit. I have no expectation but I would be willing to purchase a new system if Netgear would help with the pricing. I would even be content to condition a price benefit depending on confirming the hardware issue. I have no idea how or who to contact Netgear about this. Any suggestions, guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask them for information about an RMA. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@Blanca_O 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7