Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 slow wireless and ethernet port speeds

umkhonto
Aspirant

RBR850 slow wireless and ethernet port speeds

Hardware connection order: CM 2000 > RBR 850 > GS 324 gigabit switch (CAT 6 cables)

Network: 1 RBS 850 satellite

Neither the wireless download speeds nor ethernet download speeds come close to matching the Orbi app's speed test: (1446 mbps download / 44 mbps upload).

Wireless tops out at 390 mbps download / 41 mbps upload

Ethernet via GS 324 switch: ~419 mbps download / 41 mbps upload (tested with 3 different M1 Macbook pro laptops connected to three different ports in three different rooms).

Connected one M1 Macbook Pro directly to RBR 850 with CAT 6 cable. Download speeds no different. A desultory 396 mbps download.

Attempted the following to address the situation:

1. Replaced CAT 6 cable connecting RBR 850 to GS 324 switch

2. Factory reset

Result: No change in wireless or ethernet download speeds.

Prior to setting up Orbi mesh I ran a Nighthawk X4S AC3200 modem/router connected to my GS 324 switch.  Ethernet download speeds averaged 900 mbps.  

While the Orbi wireless speeds are faster than ye olde AC32000 the ethernet speeds are disappointing and that's being charitable.  

Not sure what to do next. Connecting my M1 Macbook Pro laptops directly to the RBR 850 or indirectly via the GS 324 switch results in identical slow speeds.

Appreciate any suggestions that the community might have regarding rectifying this situation.

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 slow wireless and ethernet port speeds

CAT6A STP is recommended between the CM and RBR.

Since the GS 3 series and RBR LAN ports are only max rate is 1Gb, you'll never see anything near 1400Mbps over ethernet thru this switch or thru the LAN ports on the RBR. You should see near 900Mpbs from the RBR though.

Depending upong wifi device design and support, and distances from the RBR and where the device is connected too, RBR or RBS, speeds will not be anything near 900Mpbs. Most 2x2 MIMO devices top out at around 300 to 600Mpbs. 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi

So you have Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled? 

I've seen around 700Mpbs on my iphone and Mac Book Pro while connected at the RBR.  

What I get with my RBR ethernet connected:

RBK853WiredSpeedResultsPostFROver900MpbsCAX80modem.png

Message 2 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

Appreciate the quick response. Agreed, not expecting download speeds over 900 mbps but I assumed the upgrade would not result in a degrading of download performance.

> CAT6A STP is recommended between the CM and RBR.

I'll replace the cable.  How about between the RBR and GS 324 (currently CAT 6)?

> So you have Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled? 

Both are disabled.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Between the RBR and GS, CAT6 UTP is Good. 

Do you have IPv6 enabled or disabled on the RBR?

Message 4 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

RBR850 IPv6 is currently disabled.  Given info below is there a setting that you recommend: Auto Detect, 6to4 Tunnel, Pass Through, Fixed, DHCP, PPPoE, Auto Config, or 6rd Tunnel?

Other info I should have included in original post.

Internet provider: xfinity Gigabit Extra

RBR850 firmware version: v7.2.6.21_5.0.20

WAN Preference: Internet Port (2.5 Gbps)

LAN setup: Router used as DHCP server

Wireless setup: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try Auto for IPv6 on the RBR and see if this changes anything. Been odd issues and problems with IPv6 between Orbi systems and ISPs. Otherwise, disable it.

Id test speeds with the RBS turned OFF and two PCs connected to the back of the RBR with out the switch in the mix. Make sure your getting good speeds here. You should good speeds ethernet connected behind the RBR. With Armor, Traffic Meter and SPC disabled or right after a factory reset and setup from scratch using a web browser. Don't setup using the Orbi app.

I presume your getting good speeds with one wired PC connected directly to the modem right? 

Message 6 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

> I presume your getting good speeds with one wired PC connected directly to the modem right? 

Same disappointing speed ~390-400 Mbps.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your getting those speeds at the modem and not connected to the Orbi system, Seems like this needs to be looked at by your ISP. 

Also run a test with a different PC to compare results as well. 

Message 8 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

FURRY38 -- apologies, laptop was connected directly to the RBR not the modem.  Getting 1400+ Mbps from the modem to the RBR.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Perform a full factory reset on both router and satellite(s) then set up from scratch. Do not load any saved backup configuration files. After completed the setup wizard using the RBRs web page, do not enable any additional features. Just go a speed test on the PC using Ooklas installable speed test app. 

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

I prefer to factory reset the the RBR using the ERASE button:
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Cand you get a CAT6A STP cable put in place between the RBR and modem? 

Message 10 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

Can you get a CAT6A STP cable put in place between the RBR and modem? 

Already in place.  CAT6a STP from modem to router and Cat6a STP from router to switch.

Also, I upgraded to the RBK862S (Orbi 860) yesterday. Same disappointing download speeds from RBR860 to switch and RBR860 direct to laptop (Macbook Pro M1 Max).  It's as if I was still using the RBR850.

Will follow your instructions and report back. 

Message 11 of 15

Have you had any success with this?  I've had a similar issue with my RBR850 using the multi-Gigabit WAN port when the link speed is 2500M/Full.  I've noticed that if I use any of the 1GbE ports on my modem instead of the 2.5G port (the XB8 modem I have has 3 gigabit ports and 1 multi-gig port), speeds are much faster across my entire Orbi system.  I actually do get speeds of 1200Mbps using the speed test from the Orbi app when using the 2.5G port from my modem, however, this issue makes the full speed unattainable since all of the LAN ports have reduced Internet speeds.

I'm not sure if the issue is with the Orbi or my modem, however, from the research I've done reduced speeds over 1gig LAN ports appears to be a common issue when using multi-gig WAN at higher speeds across some modem and router manufacturers.  The modem you listed in your first post appears to have only 1 (multi-gig) port on it that you said was connected at 2500M.  Are you able to set the link speed to 1000M or put your gigabit switch in between the modem and the Orbi to force a link speed of 1000M/Full on the WAN port of the Orbi?  Although it would be slightly below the full speed of your Internet connection, I've found the LAN speeds to be significantly faster when the link speed on the WAN port of my Orbi to my modem is 1000M/Full.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@umkhonto wrote:

Can you get a CAT6A STP cable put in place between the RBR and modem? 

Already in place.  CAT6a STP from modem to router and Cat6a STP from router to switch.

Also, I upgraded to the RBK862S (Orbi 860) yesterday. Same disappointing download speeds from RBR860 to switch and RBR860 direct to laptop (Macbook Pro M1 Max).  It's as if I was still using the RBR850.

Will follow your instructions and report back. 

Message 13 of 15
umkhonto
Aspirant

No success.  I connected my MacBook Pro directly to the CM2000 with a CAT 6 cable.  Download speeds of 90 Mbps recorded.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something either with your wired device or the CM modem:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7