Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR853 and MyQ Integrated Camera

slane01
Tutor

RBR853 and MyQ Integrated Camera

I currently have Liftmaster / Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Openers with Integrated Cameras.  These connect to the MyQ App for the smart device control and for the camera/video viewing.

I have the garage door openers connected to the app for opening and closing the doors.  However, I am unable to get the Camera to get a connection to the MyQ Internet Server.  The diagnositc lights confirm the device is connected to my router, and the camera shows up in the device list.

However, the diagnostic light on the camera blinks green, which indicates the camera is not getting a connection to the MyQ Internet Server.

The Liftmaster / Chamberlain troubleshooting steps all point back to the router configuration and to ensure various ports are open and available to use by the Camera.

Those steps are listed below:  I have also disabled the AX Features on the 2.4ghz frequency with no luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  How do I verify that the TCP/UDP ports are open and available?  I do not have any port triggering/forwarding setup, nor do I have any ports blocked.

Here are the recommended router settings from Liftmaster/Chamberlain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Recommended Router Settings

Note: If attempting to change any router settings yourself, be sure to back up your router's current settings before any changes are made and have the router's manual available.

• Set your network to broadcast and not hidden. myQ cameras may work properly with a hidden network, but this is not recommended.
  • Ensure you have DHCP enabled. DHCP allows the router to assign a LAN IP address to the myQ camera.
  • >myQ cameras are compatible with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi.
  • Ensure you have 802.11n (802.11 b/g/n) enabled. myQ cameras do not support 802.11ac
  • Set your router's security to WPA2. While myQ products support other security protocols, WEP and WPA, security protocol WPA2 is recommended. WPA2 Enterprise and WPA3 Enterprise settings are not compatible with myQ product

myQ cameras require these ports in order to communicate to our server

• Inbound and outbound TCP/UDP ports 9122, 4444, 5101-5104, and 4101-4104 open

Verify that ports are not being blocked by your router or a firewall product

• If you have your router's MAC address filtering enabled, the MAC addresses of the myQ product must be added to the list of authorized devices. You can review the MAC addresses of all devices on your network with your router's software.
Message 1 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR853 and MyQ Integrated Camera

@slane01 wrote:

How do I verify that the TCP/UDP ports are open and available?  I do not have any port triggering/forwarding setup, nor do I have any ports blocked.

This is the issue.  Chamberlain says that ports must be forwarded through the router to the camera and you have not done so.

By default, all ports are "blocked" unless the customer specifically uses the web interface to unblock them.  This is done on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Security Menu.  All ports are blocked because you did not forward any.

I confess to being surprised by this requirement.  My Wyze and Reolink cameras do not require any ports to be forwarded in order to view camera recordings or live video.  When a port is forwarded, it can forward only to a single IP address on the LAN.  That means only one MyQ camera can exist.  ( maybe no customer ever purchases more than a single MyQ camera?  not even one customer... ever!)

Message 2 of 23
ComputerGuy1984
Initiate

Usually, Universal Plug N Play (UPNP) is enabled by default on most routers, which might explain why most devices work fine out of the box, but if the device does not utilize the UPNP protocol to tell the router which ports it needs to open, or if you have turned it off, that might explain why you have the issue. My myQ garage door opener has not had an issue, but not sure if that is the same as with the camera model that you mentioned.

Message 3 of 23
slane01
Tutor

I have UPNP enabled and have also tried disabling it with no success.  I did create a custom port forwarding rule with the ports that Chamberlain had requested.  I have no issue connecting the Orbi to the MyQ opener.  It opens and closes the door just fine.  Unfortunately it cannot communicate to the integrated cameras.

I spent a total of 1.5 hrs today on the phone with 2 seperate Chamberlain techs trying to work thru the issue, but have not had any luck.

The 2nd Chamberlain tech is suspecting it is the camera itself.  However, it was escalated to a 3rd level of support which I am supposed to get tomorrow.  Chamberlain did email me requesting my shipping address, so it does seem they are going to send a new camera.

Unfortunately, since I had another new opener sitting in a box, I opted to open it up and swap the cameras from the 2nd new opener into the first installed opener. 

The 2nd camera also does not connect, which is leading me to believe it isnt a camera issue but rather a configuration issue.

Does the Port forwarding rule look correct to open up the ports.  Chamberlain requested ports 4444, 9122, 4101-4104 and 5101-5104 to be enabled for TCP/UDP send & receive.  

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

slane01_0-1648174144775.png

Message 4 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

It seems the Chamberlain Smart Garage Opener's integrated camera is different than the MyQ Smart Garage Camera that is available separately, but both are setup using the MyQ app.  I own the MyQ camera and it did not require port forwarding (which is not something customers would know how to do, so surprising if required by the Chamberlain integrated camera... It's also extra difficult if the customer has Double NAT).

I don't know if it will help, but try setting CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 because that sometimes improves compatibility with 2.4Ghz devices (you've already tried disabling AX mode, the other common tactic):

1. Go to the web admin portal at http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to the Advanced tab, Advanced left menu, Wireless Settings
  3. Set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both 2.4hz and 5Ghz networks
  4. Press Apply

If that doesn't help, confirm that your security setting is WPA2.  What else have you changed from the Orbi defaults?

Message 5 of 23
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is your router connected to? (maybe I missed that)

Message 6 of 23
slane01
Tutor

I have already changed the RTS/CTS settings to 2347.

I have also set the 2.4ghz to Channel 1. Only other thing I have done outside of the default orbi settings is to attempt to setup port forwarding to the device.
Message 7 of 23
slane01
Tutor

Also, security is set to WPA.

The modem is a fiber modem/Nokia ONT with spectrum 1gb fiber service
Message 8 of 23
plemans
Guru

What nokia ONT? (model)

And why aren't you using wpa2? 

Message 9 of 23
slane01
Tutor

I meant to indicate WPA2 for security.

Pic of ONT label attached
Message 10 of 23
plemans
Guru

I just noticed this you posted: 

• Ensure you have 802.11n (802.11 b/g/n) enabled. myQ cameras do not support 802.11ac

Seems a bit sketchy to not support wireless ac or AX. 

Got an old router sitting around? If so, you could connect that one in access point mode and limit it to wireless n. Maybe that'd work. 

Then you could set your orbi back to being able to use its full AX setup. 

Message 11 of 23
slane01
Tutor

I may give that a shot as I do have an old router.. I had disabled AX features on the orbi 2.4ghz frequency, but didn't have any success.

Message 12 of 23
slane01
Tutor

Well I think I am getting closer to understanding why my cameras won't connect.  The ports required by the mfg are not open.

They need to have ports 4444, 9122, 4101-4104 and 5101-5104 open.  I have setup port forwarding rules several different ways.  However, the port forward does not seem to work.

I have also tried forwarding just a single port such as 9122 with no luck either.  When I run a port scan on one of the devices IP Address it only shows (2) Open ports, none of which are in the Port Forward list.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

The snip below is the port forward setup for all of the required ports for the cameras to work apparently.

Thanks
Steve

slane01_0-1648349009859.png

Message 13 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

This is quite the puzzle.  Your port forwarding setup seems correct per the instructions you posted earlier (from this Chamberlain support page).  Let's confirm your camera model.  In particular, verify it is not like this one: Smart Garage Camera.  I ask because I have this camera connected to my LiftMaster opener and no port forwarding was required.

If it is a different camera model, we can perhaps find other references to confirm what is necessary and which ports to forward.  I have so far not been able to find any other web references to Chamberlain camera and the ports mentioned.

Message 14 of 23
slane01
Tutor

Unfortunately it is not like the MyQ Smart Garage camera, it is the integrated camera inside the opener.

The label on the side of the camera says GDOCam1 or 2 depending on opener.

The device shows up in the Attached Devices list as Ampak Technology.

It literally makes no sense to me as connectivity to the openers work just fine.
Message 15 of 23
ComputerGuy1984
Initiate

Some internet providers block all ports on their end until you call them. My cousin just had this issue with his ISP, for a game server he was trying to set up.
Message 16 of 23
slane01
Tutor

I'll definitely have to give that a shot. It definitely sounds plausible.
Message 17 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

I am a little doubtful that the problem is port forwarding.  That support link doesn't mention port forwarding and may only be describing ports that the camera device opens to the outside network and with bidirectional traffic, i.e., the router should not block outgoing requests on those ports from internal devices.

Otherwise, if port forwarding were required and internet hosts actually connect *into* your home network via those ports then a household could never have more than one of those devices.  This is just a camera and you are not setting up a minecraft or other game server where multiple clients need to connect to your device.

Your camera is blinking green.  Have you already reset and tried everything again per these instructions?  Your camera device is connected via the main network, not a guest or other network, right?  Do you have any security, Armor, etc. settings enabled?

Message 18 of 23
Mikey94025
Hero

Is this PDF the instructions for your camera and does it look like this, i.e., a cylinder thing that inserts and attaches to the bottom of your garage opener?  What does your MyQ app say about the camera?  For example does it recognize the camera so you added it to your account and it shows up in the app, just no video available?

Message 19 of 23
slane01
Tutor

It is basically that same integrated camera, just a little newer style opener.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone with Chamberlain as well. Done multiple camera resets and re-adds.

It connects and is added to my MyQ account, it just shows offline. The LED on camera is blinking green, which indicates that it is connected to my router, but is unable to connect to the MyQ Internet Server.

However the MyQ door function works just fine.

I am waiting for the callback on the 3rd round of Chamberlain support as well.

Chamberlain did have me remove the integrated camera and try to re add it as a standalone camera, but that didn't work.

I have Nest Cameras all over the rest of my house and those work just fine.

It really shouldn't be that hard to configure lol.

Message 20 of 23
cdenneen
Aspirant

My camera worked for over 1 year without issue and have NOT changed anything in my setup (ISP, modem, router, wifi, etc) now mine blinks green and is offline as well. I do not have a NetGear like you but have the same issue which leads me to believe they changed something upstream on the My Q server that these cameras are connecting to.

Message 21 of 23
slane01
Tutor

Thats interesting and I think your probably right.

I have spent countless hours trying to get my damn cameras to work.

I finally just gave up on it and told the MyQ tech support I'd never recommend these to anyone.

I was just happy that the MyQ function for opening and closing the door worked as it should.

That all occurred several months ago.

These things have just flashed blue and green forever.

However,
Last week I had went on vacation. When I returned a week later I noticed the indicator lights were now solid green on both my openers.

Out of curiosity, I pulled up the MyQ app and could now see both cameras and they were functioning as they should.

I didn't do a damn thing different. They just started working on there own, which leads me to believe it is definitely a MyQ issue.

I'm not sure if they will stay working, but they have now been online for a week which is shocking.
Message 22 of 23
cdenneen
Aspirant

My issue is without the camera the Key Delivery for Amazon which is beyond frustrating
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7