Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 Extra Satellite shows up when using wired backhaul both in web app and Orbi app

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBRE960 extra satellite showing up that’s not part of my net work when using wired backhaul

Seen some non NG branded and some non managed switches with IEEE 802.3az "Green Ethernet" cause problems in between the RBR and RBS. NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems. Need to add that XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series.

Also CAT6 Lan cable is recommended. 

Also avoid using the 2.5Gb ports on the RBS for ethernet backhaul with 1Gb switches. Use the 1Gb ports on the RBS. 

I would swap out the Trendnet for NG something else. As the OP mentioned this was solved by them putting in a NG switch.

@_AT_ wrote:

Hi,

the switch used for the wired backhaul is:

Trendnet 5 port unmanaged 2.5G switch, Model: TEG-S350

Message 26 of 30
_AT_
Aspirant

Re: RBRE960 extra satellite showing up that’s not part of my net work when using wired backhaul

Hi, 

I have just ran CAT6 throughout the house, and tested all connections. So that’s good. 

I did look at the NG 2.5G switch option, it’s triple the price of the Trendnet. But I guess there is a reason for that (it works better)..

I’ll have another look at the switch, and look at returning the Trendnet. (Assuming netgear support are going to say the orbi firmware cannot be updated for 3rd party unmanaged switches different working specifications).

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 27 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

You can go the cheap way and get some NG GS 1 series 1Gb switches if you want to go that router. For the 2.5Gb speed support though, you can try the GS110MX which was cheaper than the XS505. I bought the GS110 as I need one more in the daisy chain to support my 1 RBS in the basement on 2.5Gb port. 

Message 28 of 30
_AT_
Aspirant

I’ve done a return on the Trendnet, and ordered NG XS508M instead, as I need 5 ports.. 

Fingers crossed this will sort the issue. 

Thanks. 

Message 29 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. Kewl. I just put in a 10Gb SFP to ethernet adapter on my 505. Works great. 

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7