Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 - Port Forward to Guest Network

jimmymwilson
Aspirant

RBRE960 - Port Forward to Guest Network

Hi - I have a need to use port forwarding to my guest network and cannot seem to make it work or it's simply not allowed.

I have many static IP addresses plus many DHCP ones for all the devices in the house.  I would like to shift about 25-30 of the static IP addresses that I access from outside the house to the guest network.  When I attempt to port forward to the guest network, I simply get a message that the IP address must be a LAN address.

Is this even possible?  If not, why wouldn't it be?  There are more reasons to do this than simply allowing guests to use my WiFi.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBRE960 - Port Forward to Guest Network

Not allowed. 

Static meaning Static IP addresses set ON devices or IP address reservations set ON the router? 

Try using the IoT network if this is what your working with. 

Message 2 of 5
jimmymwilson
Aspirant

Thanks,

I can accept the not allowed as I couldn't find a solution.

It really had nothing to do with the static IP addresses as that was just as added description.  I use static IP simply because I want to be able to port forward to a specific internal server.  So, say port 8055 needs to go to 192.168.1.55, I would really like it to go to 192.168.2.55.  That way my work doesn't affect the standard home network.

If not allowed, it's not allowed.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@jimmymwilson wrote:

I simply get a message that the IP address must be a LAN address.

My take is this a definition thing.

• Port Fordwarding maps an external port to a device on the internal LAN.
  • Devices on the guest network have IP addresses in a separate IP subnet, i.e. "not on the LAN".
  • ergo: logically impossible.

Although customers choose to use the guest network for all sorts of thing, it is pretty obvious that Netgear intended the guest SSID to provide access to transient devices, i.e. "guests".  Devices on the guest WiFi are not allowed access to each other or to devices on the primary network (LAN)

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, this specific Orbi router offers another SSID, intended for Internet of Things (IoT) devices that may be more suitable for this need.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to understand that the term STATIC for networking configurations means that the STATIC IP address is set ON devices. IP Address reservations are set ON the router. Just to be clear here.

Good Luck.

@jimmymwilson wrote:

Thanks,

I can accept the not allowed as I couldn't find a solution.

It really had nothing to do with the static IP addresses as that was just as added description.  I use static IP simply because I want to be able to port forward to a specific internal server.  So, say port 8055 needs to go to 192.168.1.55, I would really like it to go to 192.168.2.55.  That way my work doesn't affect the standard home network.

If not allowed, it's not allowed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7