Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 and worst support for most expensive system

shunail
Aspirant

RBRE960 and worst support for most expensive system

I've bought Orbi  RBRE960  3 pack plus 2 more RBSE960 Satellite and apparently, for some reason, I've 2 rogue Satellite, which I tried app and web interface, but could not remove those rogue APs from the Orbi system. I've created 4 cases but all they say is they will get back to me as only a handful tech can support this AP as it is so new (that's what the last agent told me) They want me to be home 24x7 so whenever THEY call me, I answer their call so that they may be able to troubleshoot and fix the issue.

3 cases 46686638, 46686594, 46681298 and last chat 46774291. 

Why do they have 1 year support where their support can't get back in timely manner while not enough support available

after spending $3k I'm super frustrated and furious as when my devices connect to those rogue AP, they no longer connect to the internet...

Those 2 rogue Orbi Satellite APs has their MAC address (which doesn't belong to any of the physical Satellites) and same IP (192.168.1.250). I even tried restarting All Orbis and deleted my entire Orbi network and re-added them, yet these rogue APs appears again! 

Message 1 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBRE960 and worst support for most expensive system

Is this just a false display issue or is your Orbi network negatively impacted in some way?  Do you see the same rogue (extra) satellites in orbilogin.com as well as the Orbi app?

I suspect that if you factory reset the Orbi (not just restart or delete) then you can make these go away.  It's unfortunate and should not be necessary for you to do that, of course.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@shunail wrote:

Why do they have 1 year support where their support can't get back in timely manner while not enough support available! 

Curious how these Orbi units were purchased. (Amazon? Best Buy? Costco? Netgear direct?).  According to the Product Data Sheet (https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBRE960/RBRE960_TS.pdf  ) Netgear provides this support (page 2)

CrimpOn_0-1670624935821.png

CrimpOn_1-1670624975020.png

Since the system is not functional, what is the harm in "starting over"?  i.e.

Power everything off.

On the RBRE960 (router), power it up and perform a Factory Reset (i.e. stick something inside the tiny "Reset" hole on the back near the power LED until the LED turns amber and begins to flash, then remove the (paperclip? pin? toothpick?)

Ignore the Orbi app.  Connect a computer to the router (desktop, laptop.  We old-timers prefer a direct Ethernet connection, but fewer and fewer customers have devices with Ethernet ports).

Open a web browser and connect to the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net)

(If it asks for authentication, the user name is "admin" and the password is "password" - everything lower case)

Go through the steps to configure the system, but add no satellites. (I would also ignore any suggestion of

• Regstering the product (you've done that already)
  • Enabling Parental Controls
  • Enabling Bitdefender Armor

The Attached Devices page should show the no satellites and whatever user devices are connected.

Select the menu item "Add Orbi satellite" and power up one of the original satellites (from the kit) in the same room as the router. Follow the directions.  Does this satellite appear on the Attached Devices page?  Any rogue satellites?

Try the same thing with the other original satellite. Still no rogue satellites?

Message 3 of 9
shunail
Aspirant

They're showing in both Orbi app and web interface (Orbi login portal for the router)

I guess I've to do a full factory reset on all and add them again. That'd be another 2 hours of my setting them up again

Message 4 of 9
shunail
Aspirant

I got them from Amazon

but as other user suggested, I'll try performing factor reset on all and try with just the router first (w/o adding satellite) and see if I get rogue satellite then

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure all RBS are updated to the same FW version as the RBR.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Please post a screen capture of what your seeing on the RBRs web page and and orbi app.

Are you setting up the RBS all at once or one at a time? 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Are you using a hardwired backhaul? 

My setup shows the exact same with having extra satellites at the same address. 

I'm using a hardwired backhaul. I've had contact with support but the same basic "its being looked at" response. 

I'm betting that there's a conflict that it establishes both the hardwired backhaul and a failover to the dedicated backhaul. 

It hasn't caused any issues for me other than annoyance, so I've just left it on mine after trying the reset/reconfigure several times. 

Message 7 of 9
shunail
Aspirant

I have 2 Orbi Satellites wired and 2 wirelessly connected 

Did the factory reset router and all Satellites and same issue persisted. I felt stupid as I was resetting the router as the last one as rogue Satellite was still there. Perhaps it's tied to my account. I don't want to create another Orbi account and Netgear is not helping also...

UGHH!!!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure all RBS are updated to the same FW version as the RBR.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and < >satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite <

Please post a screen capture of what your seeing on the RBRs web page and and orbi app.

Are you setting up the RBS all at once or one at a time? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7