Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS 750 will not "join network"

millhouse114
Follower

RBS 750 will not "join network"

HELP! I've spent 6 hours trying to set up my RBS 750 with 2 satellites and I'm at a loss. I've followed the app setup dozens of times and at the very end....I get the dreaded "Unable to join the network "Orbi18" every single time. I have now been on hold with Netgear for the past 58 minutes and transfered twice without any help. Can anyone help? I have Frontier for service (1GB) and I'm using their router which is an Arris NVG468MQ. The only thing the app doesnt tell you is to turn off the Frontier router wifi.....which I also tried, but it didnt work. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS 750 will not "join network"

that arris is a modem/router combo device. which causes a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Which leaves you 3 options 

1. put the arris in modem only/bridge mode (disables its routing functions entirely)

2. Put the netgears IP address in the arris's devices DMZ

3. Put the netgear in access point mode. This disables its basic routing functions but leaves wireless/ethernet intact with the arris running routing. Tends to be one of the simplest options but does disable some functions on the netgear. 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Up front ... "RBS 750 will not "join network" ... is certainly wrong, the Orbi system does never join a wireless network.

Knowing virtually nothing on the Orbi App config - you state that this happens at the end.

Guess this is not the initial association which happens at the beginning of the App install process where the mobile device running the App does initially associate (connect to) predefined SSID (network name), the data is coming from the QR code, or will be manually entered based on the default SSID and security key on the router label.

Guessing again that the App allows to configure a admin password, a new SSID (network name), and a new security key to the router. Once this ;happened, the security key (wireless password) must be changed on the mobile device. If this does not happen ... the mobile can't join the new configured wireless on the new Orbi router and tell the user it can't join the wireless network.

Pretty much convinced, these processes are a part of the app guided install process.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Set up the RBR first using a wired PC and web broswer. Change the SSID name to something different. Once the RBR is setup, press the sync button on the RBS and RBR. Do this with the RBS near the RBR or in same room as RBR. 

@millhouse114 wrote:

HELP! I've spent 6 hours trying to set up my RBS 750 with 2 satellites and I'm at a loss. I've followed the app setup dozens of times and at the very end....I get the dreaded "Unable to join the network "Orbi18" every single time. I have now been on hold with Netgear for the past 58 minutes and transfered twice without any help. Can anyone help? I have Frontier for service (1GB) and I'm using their router which is an Arris NVG468MQ. The only thing the app doesnt tell you is to turn off the Frontier router wifi.....which I also tried, but it didnt work. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7