Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS350 satellites lose sync with RBR750

Rob6805
Tutor

RBS350 satellites lose sync with RBR750

Hello all,

I am having issues with my brand new Orbi system.  I have a RBS750 router and two RBS350 satellites.  The satellites will not maintain a good backhaul sync status.  I have tried resetting the router and satellites and they will show a good status for a period of time and then change to out of sync.  

A secondary effect of this I believe is that when the satellites go out of sync they no longer use the same wifi channel as the router.  This is causing an issue with me trying to set up some new cameras I have. The cameras have a limited channel range they will accept and since the satellites are out of sync and using a high channel number (157) the cameras will not connect to the satellites.  

What would cause the satellites to not maintain a good sync status with the router?Satelites one in sync.PNGsatellites out of sync.PNG

Thank you

Message 1 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please identify the package product  number that included one 750 router and two 350 satellites?

Message 2 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Ah, I didn't know that ch 157 was for the backhaul signal.  Ok then.  That explains some things.  I have a wifi analyzer app and I can see what networks are available.  Some general questions:

1) Will the satellites show up as a separate network than the router (same SSID)?

2)  Is it possible that my phone can connect to the backhaul network (ch 157)?  Because sometimes I see my phone connected to that channel.

3) When the satellites are out of sync are they working at all?

Thank you,

Message 3 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

The package was RBK653.

Message 4 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry to nit-pick, but the RBK763 appears to be the Costco P. Ackage of one RBR750 and two RBS760,. No RBS350. I am confused. 

Message 5 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Hello,

No worries.  This is the one I have:

RBK653

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DRJKZW9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Thank you

Message 6 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Page 133 of the user manual. The satellites use channel 157 for both user WiFi and backhaul. The router uses different channels for each. (48 user, 157 backhaul)

Still no

Message 7 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

(every time I try to respond on the tablet, it goes crazy and I get too mad to continue fussing with the damn thing.)

Still no explanation for why the satellites lose sync.

Message 8 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

That is not good. I thought the satellites mirrored the router. I do not believe the camera supports ch 157. Do you know if this can be changed?

Thank you,
Message 9 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rob6805 wrote:
That is not good. I thought the satellites mirrored the router. I do not believe the camera supports ch 157. Do you know if this can be changed?

The camera supports channel 157:

CrimpOn_0-1669014032434.png

Message 10 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

Has this ever been resolved. Have the identical issue with the identical configuration. Noticing now that Model doesn't show in my satellite config pages. Also can't log into the satellites via IP. Get to login page but will not let me log in using same credentials as my Router.  

Message 11 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Hello.
No, it has not been resolved. My cameras will only connect to the Orbi router and not the satellites. And the satellites will not stay in sync with the router. I am currently investigating alternate wifi system and will eventually scrap the Orbi. It's not all it's cracked up to be .
Message 12 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

That is the impression I am getting too after dealing with the Gear Head staff. Going to try new HW since I was still under warranty...but don't have high hopes.
Message 13 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Hi

Yes, exactly.  I also talked to their tech support multiple times.  They had no answers as to why the satellites would not stay in sync.  They had me try multiple resets and re-sync procedures and each time the satellites would stay in sync for a few minutes and then proceed to go out of sync.  They had zero answers.  Sorry to say that Netgear has an issue with their Orbi system that they don't know how to resolve.  

Message 14 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

I am beginning to think I am going to turn off auto firmware upgrades and manually do satellites first then the router. After reading through other threads there seem to be issues with firmware upgrade introducing issues when satellites get out of version. Sad it might take that much maintenance for a home router .but worth a try. BTW, one of the crack support staff did mention that there is a known issue with this mesh system and cameras. Thought it had something to do with the 5GHz signal but might work better limiting to 2.4GHz. Never could get anyone to repeat that and camera connections were the least of my worries with this system.
Message 15 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

Update: got the replacement hardware and low and behold...the Satellites looked and were sized the same and looked just like the router, had a model # rbs750 which makes sense since I purchased an rbr750, and most importantly, it works. Devices are being picked up by the satellites the way they should and set up was a lot more straight forward. The original box I received had the wrong hardware...so not only is their service awful but quality control is ridiculous too. Maybe they are the same people???
Message 16 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Hey. How did you get replacements? I always thought it was strange that the RBR750 router was paired with RBS350 satellites in the kit that I got.
Message 17 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

The hardware is warrantied for a year. Just had to sit through a day of troubleshooting to prove it was hardware. This IS your problem... My case is proof.
Message 18 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

While I am happy to "pile on" Netgear, in this particular instance could it be possible that the original purchase was the RBK653 package?  As the data sheet explains, the RBK653 comes with one RBR750 router and two RBS350 satellites:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK653/RBK653_DS.pdf 

I almost always toss the original packaging, and turn to my Amazon account to see exactly what I purchased over the years.

Message 19 of 23
Rob6805
Tutor

Well... I purchased the Orbi in Oct of 22 so it's still under warranty. I understand that the kit (RBK653) did come with the RBS350 satellites BUT there was one time that a support agent told me that those satellites were not compatible with the RBR750 and that was why they would not stay in sync.

The issue I have is that I no longer have a support contract so how would I initialize a case for a warranty replacement?
Message 20 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

While the 90 days of 'complimentary support' have expired, the one year warranty is still in effect.  Log into my.netgear.com , select the product, then click on the link at the bottom of the page:

CrimpOn_0-1685751941426.png

Message 21 of 23
Hammerlee
Star

Could be... But here are two instances where this configuration does not function as advertised. Support is supposed to help you figure out if it is a hardware issue without charging you... But I've heard 5 different stories from them on that.
Message 22 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Dealing with vendor support can be a challenge.

A couple of years ago, my Tivo stopped accessing certain channels. "not authorized".  Tried to restart the gizmo called a Tuning Adapter (which we Luddites who still own Tivo have to use).  No joy.  Called Spectrum.  No Joy. Finally, they dispatched a very nice repair person.  He called support (a tedious process to prove he was an employee) and they instructed him to swap out the Tuning Adapter.  No Joy.  Try another Tuning Adapter.  No Joy.  He went through all four Tuning Adapters on the truck and even met another technician to get an adapter off of his truck.  No Joy.  Each attempt required yet another call to Spectrum support.  After nearly eight hours, he said, "Man. I'm sorry, but I have to go."

Before driving out to Spectrum to get another Tuning Adapter, I called support one more time.  A very nice lady said, "Oh. It looks like your billing information is coded incorrectly.  Please restart the Tuning Adapter."  Bingo.  There had never been anything wrong with the gizmo and at least six Spectrum Tech Support people had not noticed it.

Since presumably sold more than two RBK653 packages, it may be a challenge to get someone to swap the satellites out for RBS750 satellites.  It worked one time. Maybe it will work again.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7