Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 Satellite Dropping connections

riddlecp
Aspirant

RBS750 Satellite Dropping connections

I've had an ORBI753s system in AP mode for a number of months and have noticed issues with the one satellite I'm using in my home office that usually front ends work connections for my wife and I over wifi as well as my desktop and a pihole instance connected to the LAN ports.

Occasionally - especially when the wired desktop is downloading something, the satellite will completely drop from the system almost as if it is rebooting.  It usually comes back up within a few minutes and the wifi devices switch to one of the other APs, but there's no rhyme or reason that I can find since it doesn't always happen.

Thoughts?  Anyone else seen this problem?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS750 Satellite Dropping connections

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 12
riddlecp
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  Have been using V4.6.3.7_2.0.49
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Orbi router is connected in AP mode to a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 running OpenWRT.  Have had no issues from this device.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  2200 Sq Ft.
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  Both satellites are roughly 30 Ft from the RBR
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.  2.4 is set to auto, I'll change to the appropriate channel for my area.  5 is set to 48
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  2-3, but none that come close to the signal strength of the Orbi devices

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Set 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 5 is not a primary channel to use on Orbi. 

Does the front LED turn ON PINK when the RBS drops connection? 

Is the RBR using Dynamic IP addressing or Static IP addressing for AP mode? 

Try setting a IP address reservation for the RBS on the host router.

Message 4 of 12
riddlecp
Aspirant

by 5, I meant that the 5GHZ radio was set to channel 48.

When the connection drops, the LED of the affected satellite goes solid white and then starts flashing white.

The addresses were dynamic, but I've since set them to static leases.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok my bad. 

Try setting 2.4 to a manual channel. 

Let us know if the RBS continues this after setting IP address reservations for the RBS on the host router. Static IPs are configured ON devices themselves. 

Message 6 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok my bad. 

Try setting 2.4 to a manual channel. 

Let us know if the RBS continues this after setting IP address reservations for the RBS on the host router. Static IPs are configured ON devices themselves. 

Changing channels, IP Reservation, etc will NOT fix this issue. Static IPs that are configured on the devices themselves does not guarantee they will get that IP address, if some other device connects first and takes it. The only sure fire way is IP Address configuration for all devices. This guarantees the device will always get the IP desired.

My personal system is losing internet and Satellite connection several times per day for no reason whatsoever. I even brought all the satellites into the same room as the router and ISP modem for testing. ISP modem is rock solid, but router randomly goes into pairing mode and the satellites follow. After 1 to 2 minutes they are back up solid like nothing is wrong. Then they do it again. 

I sent the Netgear techs all my logs, config files and username/password for testing. The result is I and the NG techs are convinced the only fix is a firmware update. I now have hours invested, not to mention having to pay Netgear to deliver a Satellite they damaged.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

"Static IPs that are configured on the devices themselves does not guarantee they will get that IP address, if some other device connects first and takes it." This doesn't happen if the static IP address is set out side the DCHP IP address pool. 

Message 8 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"Static IPs that are configured on the devices themselves does not guarantee they will get that IP address, if some other device connects first and takes it." This doesn't happen if the static IP address is set out side the DCHP IP address pool. 

That part is true but in my experience most end users use the complete IP address spectrum for their DHCP pool, and then take one of those IP addresses and assign it to a device. So I always use resevations for IP addresses I want specifically assigned to a device.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One just has to adjust the DHCP pool range is all...

Message 10 of 12
riddlecp
Aspirant

This is how I have done it - I have the reservations set for my RBR and RBS devices.

2.4 ghz wifi set to channel 1 per the previous suggestion.

Still having device dropouts when transferring large files/apparently saturating a connection somewhere

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series