Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 Satellite won't connect to router

JohnDucker
Tutor

RBS750 Satellite won't connect to router

I have an RBR750 and three RBS satellites running the latest firmware. Has been stable for about six months, but recently one satellite lost contact to the router. Ring LED solid magenta. I have tried rebooting satellite and router (both in the same room) and also performed a factory reset on the satellite, but still will not connect. Any ideas?

I am pretty un-technical so please bear with me!

Thanks

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
JohnDucker
Tutor

Re: RBS750 Satellite won't connect to router

I am no expert but I just solved my problem as follows:

1. Brought faulty satellite into same room as RBR750 router

2. Plugged satellite in and waited for a solid white light (appreciate yours is flashing - maybe just wait two mins for boot up then try the next step anyway)

3. Pressed factory reset button with paper clip and held it depressed for 20s. The power LED flashes red after about 5s but I kept it depressed. Release paper clip - satellite ring LED falshes white.

4. When ring LED went solid white on satellite, I pressed sync button on satellite, then on router. Both ring LEDs flash white.

5. After about 90 secs the satellite showed up on the app network map and on the device map on the router web page. Satellite ring LED went solid blue (A GOOD THING!)

6. I checked the firmware version on the webpage and my satellite was out of date, so I went through a firmware update. This disconnected the satellite again, so I had to repeat steps 1.- 5. and this time the satellite stayed connected with the right FW version

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you turn OFF the other RBS and bring the one RBS to same room as the RBR to try to sync it? 

Do you know if all RBS have same FW version loaded? 

Message 2 of 15
JohnDucker
Tutor

I did turn off the other satellites and brought the problem one to the same room as the router. I am not sure what FW version the router is on as I cannot communicate with it?

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't connect to the RBRs web page or RBS web page? 

If you bring the RBS to same room, power it ON after connect it to the RBR using a ethernet cable? 

Message 4 of 15
JohnDucker
Tutor

I can connect to the router web page and can see the RBR and two working satellites. All are at latest firmware version. Cannot see the faulty RBS. I tried direct ethernet connection between router and RBS but didn't help.

Now I tried another factory reset on the RBS

It flashed white for several minutes after the RBR went back to solid white.

During this time it did show up as a connected device - first hardwired (which it was not), then as a 2.4G connection. I checked the firmware and the faulty RBS was showing V.4.6.3.7 firmware so I pressed "Update all", but the satellite disconnected again. Now just showing a constant white ring.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 183154.png

Message 5 of 15
jashg
Aspirant

Hi, have the same issue - RBK753 with an additional satellite (4 in total) all working fine for 6 months then one of the satellites failed to connect. I have tried reconncting multiple times including resetting the satellite and no success - it constantly shows the flashing white light that looks like it is waiting to pair with a router. I bought another satellite and when I try to add that to the router, it fails to find it. I am at a loss as to what to do next as I think I have faulty hardware that is in warranty but cant see how to get in touch with netgear to get help or a replacement. Any help of pointers about what to try next would be much appreciated.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you get the RBS to connect again then see if it has a IP address next to it listed on the RBRs web page. If it does, you might beable to access the RBS web page using it's IP address, if you can, have the Same version of FW that the RBR is using and have this RBS FW file ready on your connnected PC. I'd wire connect the PC to the back of the RBS for a more direct connection. Send the FW file to the RBS direcly using the RBS web page. 

Seems like the RBS FW is not using same version as RBR and other RBS. Possible the RBS update maybe corrupt as well.

@JohnDucker wrote:

I can connect to the router web page and can see the RBR and two working satellites. All are at latest firmware version. Cannot see the faulty RBS. I tried direct ethernet connection between router and RBS but didn't help.

Now I tried another factory reset on the RBS

It flashed white for several minutes after the RBR went back to solid white.

During this time it did show up as a connected device - first hardwired (which it was not), then as a 2.4G connection. I checked the firmware and the faulty RBS was showing V.4.6.3.7 firmware so I pressed "Update all", but the satellite disconnected again. Now just showing a constant white ring.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 183154.png

Message 7 of 15
JohnDucker
Tutor

Thanks for all your help on this, but how do I download a FW file to my laptop and then upload it to the RBS?

Message 8 of 15
JohnDucker
Tutor

Ignore that request - I found the manual and downloads on the website. I tried another factory reset and sync and this time the faulty satellite has remained connected (10 mins and counting) and is showing the correct FW version. Fingers crossed this has fixed it. Will let you know tomorrow. Thanks SO MUCH FURRYe38 for all your advice

Message 9 of 15
JohnDucker
Tutor

2. Plugged satellite in and waited for a solid white light (appreciate yours is flashing - maybe just wait two mins for boot up then try the next step anyway)

3. Pressed factory reset button with paper clip and held it depressed for 20s. The power LED flashes red after about 5s but I kept it depressed. Release paper clip - satellite ring LED falshes white.

4. When ring LED went solid white on satellite, I pressed sync button on satellite, then on router. Both ring LEDs flash white.

5. After about 90 secs the satellite showed up on the app network map and on the device map on the router web page. Satellite ring LED went solid blue (A GOOD THING!)

6. I checked the firmware version on the webpage and my satellite was out of date, so I went through a firmware update. This disconnected the satellite again, so I had to repeat steps 1.- 5. and this time the satellite stayed connected with the right FW version

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@JohnDucker wrote:

3. Pressed factory reset button with paper clip and held it depressed for 20s. (Usually 15 seconds is max press time.) The power LED flashes red after about 5s but I kept it depressed. Release paper clip - satellite ring LED falshes white.

6. I checked the firmware version on the webpage and my satellite was out of date, so I went through a firmware update. (I recommend manually downloading the FW file and manually sending the FW file to the RBS. He's ensure a good FW load using a wire connected PC. https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...) This disconnected the satellite again, so I had to repeat steps 1.- 5. and this time the satellite stayed connected with the right FW version

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

RBS should be updated first always, then the RBR lastly. 

Awesomeness. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 15
jashg
Aspirant

Thanks for the info and apologies for hijacking your thread! I will give that a go although, as you noted, I havent been able to get the satellite to go a solid white at any time as in your step 4. I have been using the app to add the new satellite which you didnt mention - so did you just press sync on both devices and let them pair in their own time? Using the app appears to eliminate the need for pressing the sync on the router but the fact that the app then timed out before the two paired may mean it works slightly differently. Either way, thanks a lot for the tip.

@JohnDucker

Message 12 of 15
-lostinspace-
Aspirant

Thank you, @JohnDucker - I have had this issue for a LONG time. Crossing my fingers this solves it!

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

@-lostinspace- wrote:

I have had this issue for a LONG time. Crossing my fingers this solves it!

Message 14 of 15
PapaDT
Aspirant

I agree with the steps outlined in the accepted solution except it won't work for the odd use case where the satellite is in a weird state and cannot function properly with its current firmware version.  No firmware before RBS750-V4.6.8.5 worked for me and I only the "Manual Update" option worked to resolve it.

I performed these steps:

1.  Downloaded and extracted the RBS750-V4.6.8.5 and RBR750-V4.6.8.5 firmware from the NETGEAR site.

2.  Placed the problem satellite within a couple of feet of the NETGEAR router.

3.  Plugged in the satellite and after it blinked WHITE I pressed the SYNC button on the router.

4.  Once the router light went out and the satellite LED turned BLUE I logged into the router and went to the ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update > Manual Update page, selected the problem satellite, and clicked Update.

***Note - Oddly the firmware version shown for my satellite reverted from V4.8.2 to V4.6.7.13 and seemed to be in the process of auto-updating.  I suspect that you MUST start the firmware update before this happens.

5.  Followed instructions in the popup window to login, select the update file, etc.

6.  Only after updating each satellite did I update the router.

My satellite worked properly for the first time in over a year!  Good luck!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series