Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS750 and most nites

sethm1
Guide

RBS750 and most nites

Attempted the update to 4.6.7.13.

The firmware update screen on my windows 10 PC - in my home's Orbi website was only able to show the new firmware for the router & one of my satellites.  The other satellite said “service unavailable" and that satellite blinking white. So not able to update even the router or the one satellite. 

I unplugged the 'bad' router, then rescanned for the new firmware.  Success.

With the 'bad' satellite still blinking, I performed a re-sync.  success.

Back to the firmware update screen. After clicking "Check'  - nothing. Zippo.

I then tried a manual (after downloading the satellite from the download page) but after clicking 'upload'  got a failure notice.

NOW WHAT ?

Oh - the Orbi App on my ipad shows Satellite 1 as the bad one - where on the PC in the Router web page it says Satellite 2.  I cant even comprehend that.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 8
sethm1
Guide

So even though router and one of satellites updated, that i should factory reset all 3. Then start over? 

if then after all 3 back on line, if the firmware update screen still shows the one not visible, attempt manual install on the ‘bad’ one. Then do the proper update via the routers web page?

whats weird is the ios app sees all 3 but not the routers web page.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Just follow the manual update procedures by updating using the RBS and RBRs web pages and update by downloading the FW file to the RBS first, the RBR lastly. 

Message 4 of 8
sethm1
Guide

Question - is it possible that a firmware updated not available for one of my satellites?

last nite I was using our downstairs pc and where the router is wired into.

Just now turned on my upstairs pc and which is closest to satellite 2. This Sat about 20 feet from this pc. Went to the router login page and then to the firmware update page.  For Satellite 2 it says ‘no firmware available.’ As noted above, router & Sat 1 now have 4.6.7.13 so obviously

no firmware available‘ - so thats correct.

what is odd on the firmware update page/screen - the model name & current firmware version is not showing up.

yes, the 2 satellites came with router. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@sethm1 wrote:

Question - is it possible that a firmware updated not available for one of my satellites? No. Thought I don't trust the auto updater to properly handle FW udpates on Orbi systems. So I always manually update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

last nite I was using our downstairs pc and where the router is wired into.

Just now turned on my upstairs pc and which is closest to satellite 2. This Sat about 20 feet from this pc. Went to the router login page and then to the firmware update page.  For Satellite 2 it says ‘no firmware available.’ As noted above, router & Sat 1 now have 4.6.7.13 so obviously

no firmware available‘ - so thats correct.

what is odd on the firmware update page/screen - the model name & current firmware version is not showing up.

yes, the 2 satellites came with router. 

Message 6 of 8
sethm1
Guide

I tried one last attempt. I brought the bad satellite down stairs which then 8 feet from the router and that pc. Had to sync first as still the router update page not seeing this satellite. Then re-selected the check button. New firmware recognized and able to update the satellite.

So happy now.

Returned the satellite upstairs and all good so far.  Even though that satellite about 22 feet from router - as “the crow flies” - my suspicion is that our house built with lath and plaster, so the chicken wires in the walls maybe why the router did not see the satellite earlier. Though router and my ios App shows router and both satellites.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7