Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 - Updating to Firmware 7.2.6.21 - now remaining satellites won't accept admin/password login

Dan28088
Aspirant

RBS850 - Updating to Firmware 7.2.6.21 - now remaining satellites won't accept admin/password login

I just added a new RBS850 to my Orbi system, so under the RBR850 I now have three satellites, all of which are hardwired back to the Router.   The RBR850 and two original RBS850 satellites were all running Firmware V4.6.14.3.   After three days, the new satellite was still running its older software and had not autoupdated.    

I ran Software update through the website UI and it said nothing available, yet when I visited the Netgear site I could find that not only was V4.6.14.3 for the Satellite available, there was also a newer version V7.2.6.21 available for both the Router and the Satellites.  So I downloaded that.

No issue updating the Router (RBR850), or the first satellite that was actually the newest and one with the oldest firmware - used the manual option, went to the IP address of the Satellite and logged in with the default:

admin/passwored

All was fine.   

Then went to the next satellite and this time, typing in "admin/password" simply returns to the same login screen - and after three failures it gives me a forbidden screen.

I can't log into the updated satellite either.

The satellites have never accepted the actual password for the router - it is NOT the default, though of course the Username remains "admin".

I have tried

"Admin/Password" 

"admin/password"

"Admin/password"

"admin/Password"

"admin/(Router Password)"

All to no avail.   

I have tried with Chrome, Firefox and Safari -

I have successfully changed the Router password - and can log in and out with the new password for the Router through the web based UI and iPhone App - but still can't get logged into any of the satellites.

The two, non-updated satellites are working just fine and supporting their usual load of devices.

When I go to the Firmware update page, I am again told that there are no updates - even though two of the three satellites clearly report firmware V4.6.14.3.

I have an extensive system, and even though I have a backup of the settings, I would rather not do a factory reset on the Router and have to reload everything.

Hoping that someone has a suggestion - and appreciate the help in resolving this.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 - Updating to Firmware 7.2.6.21 - now remaining satellites won't accept admin/password lo

Try this to see if this works:
Manual RBS FW update after RBR was updated:
You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 8
Dan28088
Aspirant

Re: RBS850 - Updating to Firmware 7.2.6.21 - now remaining satellites won't accept admin/password lo

Just to be clear - after I do the first factory reset and directly connect my laptop to the reset satellite, log into its UI and do the update, then I do another Factory Reset and then re-sync it to the RBR?

Seems that second Factory Reset before the re-sync would wipe out the update to the new firmware...

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and No it doesn't remove the FW update. 

Message 4 of 8
Dan28088
Aspirant

Not working as expected.

I went ahead and unplugged the first satellite and then reset it, and connected my MacBook Pro to it via direct cable.

It did not give me an IP address.   

I reset it and power cycled after it came up and then reset again.  Still I only got a self assigned IP address.

Then on yet another reset attempt when it came back up it joined the Orbi network and gave me my IP address - and this time when I went to its UI I could do the update.

So I tried the same process with the second satellite.  But this one won't play nice.

Resetting dose not get it into a mode where it gives me an IP address.  

I have tried multiple resets, and power cycles between.

Each time I get my self assigned IP address and using that with .250 doesn't find the Satellite.

Eventually it will appear back on the Orbi network - but then when I visit its IP address I am back into the loop of admin/password - same screen then Forbidden.

I have even tried depressing the reset button while I plug the power cord back in - same situation.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does ethernet connecting the RBS to the back of the RBR happen to give you an IP address for the RBS that you can log in to? 

If not, might revert the RBR back to last version of v4 FW what was loaded and see if the RBS then connect. 

Message 6 of 8
Dan28088
Aspirant

No it does not.

Each satellite typically has one dedicated network cable leading back to my central switch so all are on hard line connections to the RBR850 Router.

Each also has several local devices that are also plugged directly into the other there ports on the Satellite.

For this exercise, per your suggestions, I unplugged everything and then connected a network cable from my USB C adapter plugged into my MacBook Pro into the first port on the back of the Satellite.   

This adapter is the same one I use at my desk for a direct cable connection into the house network so no question that it works.

When the Satellite comes up, at first there is no network connection at all - then it becomes a self assigned network address, and then if I let it sit long enough, the satellite will connect via the WIFI backhaul to the Router - receive its dedicated IP and then hand my MacBook Pro an IP address from within my normal network block.

When this happened with the first satellite, I then tried its IP address, got the login screen - typed in admin/password and was able to do the update.

After the update I could log into the satellite directly.

I then went up stairs to where the second satellite lives and tried the process there - only this time no matter how I reset or power cycle after or before a reset, the direct connected network cable only gives me a self assigned value and then eventually my expected house network value.

I have tried setting the laptop itself to 192.168.1.10 and then when the Satellite starts to pulse white, entering the IP address of 192.168.1.250 into the browser - but it fails to connect to anything.

The Satellite that I did update - now again I can't connect to it via its portal - the admin/password just cycles back to the same screen and then a forbidden notice.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might downgrade the RBR back to v4 FW and see if you can then get the one RBS to be seen and connect, if so, then update the RBS to v7 FW, then re-update the RBR back to v7.

The other RBS, might factory reset using the back reset button for 15 seconds then release, then re-sync it to the RBR, After the RBR is back to ready on v7 FW. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7