Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 refuse website login and wont update firmware

JacZ000
Aspirant

RBS850 refuse website login and wont update firmware

Hi all

I just recently upgraded from the old RBK50 and had to say bump into quite a lot of issues setting the RBK853 up...

The current issue is I can't update the firmware on the satellite RBS850. To make it worse, when setting up the orbi system, the Orbi app has forced me to update the firmware in router RBR850. So I had a system in two different firmware.

I try to manually update the RBS850 as per the NG website, but the satellite website wont let me login. It doesn't even pop up a place to input the name and password, it just says the website refuse to connect.. I am hardwiring to the satellite and had perform a few factory resets... and it's also saying service unreachable in the FW update page..

And the orbi app just showing some min. information on the satellite like below..

Weirdly, it seems like the satellite does sync with router, but I can't see anything on Attached device and the network is unstable...

Can anyone shed some light on how to make this right?

JacZ000_0-1706265188831.png

JacZ000_1-1706265277949.png

JacZ000_2-1706265577236.png

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using the right address. 192.168.1.41 is what seems to be it's IP address. You may have mistyped it in your browser as .40.

Be sure your downloading both RBS and RBR FW files, there are two.

Be sure your unpacking the FW files from the .zip file to reveal the actual FW files themselves.

Use the RBS web page to send the RBS FW file.

Then use the RBR manual FW update page to update the RBR using the RBRs FW file.

Clear out all browser caches prior to entering the web pages.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 2 of 9
JacZ000
Aspirant

Hi Furrye

The two satellite have IP address 192.168.1.40 and 192.168.1.41... so the IP address should be fine..

I've cleaned the cache and try with Firefox, Edge and Chrome, with wiring to the satellite or with wifi... 

Both of them refused to connect, not even a pop up window to put in name and password...

As above, I dont get a chance to upload the FW...

The router is only a week new.. start to wonder if I get two lemons in a box...

Message 3 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

First question: Your initial post states you have an RBR850 and RBS850 but your signature block shows you own an RBK860S. Which one is it? There are different firmware files for the RBR850 and the RBR860. The firmware version numbers may be the same but the files are NOT.

Second question:  When accessing the RBR, are you using the web-based GUI or the ORBI app? The picture you displayed of the ORBI app looks like it still believes you have your RBR50 running. (The app icon should show an RBR850 series with the silver base and sides.)

Third question: Since you're connecting to the Sat via ethernet, are you using at least CAT6 cables?

Final question: After doing a factory reset of the satellite, have you gone into the RBR web page and told it to "Forget this Satellite" and resync it?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you bring the RBS to same room as RBR and ethernet connect them behind the RBR then try to connect to the RBS web page? 
Do the RBS have a IP address reserved or using a Dynamic IP address? Might try a dynamic IP address if you set a IP address reservation.

IF you can gain access to the RBS web page, try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

@JacZ000 wrote:

Hi Furrye

The two satellite have IP address 192.168.1.40 and 192.168.1.41... so the IP address should be fine..

I've cleaned the cache and try with Firefox, Edge and Chrome, with wiring to the satellite or with wifi... 

Both of them refused to connect, not even a pop up window to put in name and password...

As above, I dont get a chance to upload the FW...

The router is only a week new.. start to wonder if I get two lemons in a box...

Message 5 of 9
JacZ000
Aspirant

Hi tucsontico
To first question, my bad for the fat finger.. it's a RBK853 set.. corrected now..
To question two, I'm accessing the satellite by both app and Web. And it keeps showing a old satellite on my app and the Web page is not showing infos on satellite and any attached device.. I thought this is cause by the different FW on router and satellite...
Third question, yes, cat6.
Last one, there's one try I do factory reset on all 3 machine, then set up from scratch. So had to resync manually. After that, also try generate a new backhaul password...
But still can't gain access to satellite Web page...
Message 6 of 9
JacZ000
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38
I have try hard-wiring satellite to router and access it from wifi, still can't access it... and even hard-wiring them and perform a resync with hard wiring, my app won't show the full satellite infos..
IP is by DHCP, both my app and Web gui show the same IP...
I've also done the FW downgrade then upgrade it one by one on router hoping when the FW is the same, it would make a different in the last attempt... but still no good...
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Id try a full on factory reset on both RBR and RBS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Allow the RBS to attempt to auto sync to the default RBR SSID broadcast before starting the setup wizard. 

Message 8 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

This may not work as it seems there are other anomalies happening with your satellites. However, give this idea a try. If your app is still showing the old RBR50 icon, your app has both ORBI's in its memory. Open the app, click on the icon in the upper left corner (looks like 3 horizontal lines). The top line of that page will show the name of the currently connected ORBI with a green dot displayed next to it. Click on the arrow to the right to go to a list of ORBIs in your Netgear Account. Be certain the RBR850 is selected. 

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7