Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS860 Sync failing

ericasjourney19
Aspirant

RBS860 Sync failing

Just received a new AX6000 Triband model RBR860S plus a satellite (AX6000 model RBS860) ordered direct from netgear. Was able to get the main router connected to my modem fine and is running as expected. However as I try to sync the satellite AP, the app says the satellite cannot be found. I have reset the satellite 2x, pressed the sync first on the main router followed within about 2 seconds on the satellite, pressed the sync first on the satellite then on the main, tried just the sync on the main as well as just on the satellite.

I did get a blue light on the satellite one time but still did not show on the app as connected. The primary device is connected directly to the internet provider modem (they prohibit customer equipment) and functioning as accurately as I think it can. I need this satellite to work as my home office is about 75' away from the only literal location the lines enter the home and is no other option to move it short of paying someone to put in new drops. 

One thing I did notice is when pressing the sync on the satellite, there is really no 'feel' that it did anything. No physical feeling of a click or anything of the sort so not sure if possibly the satellite was damaged during manufacturing or if these things are just that cranky and a pain in the rear...

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Re: RBS860 Sync failing

Logged into the website to check it out and status shows "good" and Firmware Version is
V7.2.4.5_4.2.2. Absolutely more options there which is good.

I have serious doubts on Optimum being able to do anything to help as they have the absolute worst service ever experienced in my 25yr IT career. Will have to look into it next week during their normal business hours to confirm my suspicion. We did just have an independent contractor they sent to inspect the lines due to ongoing speed/signal issues as well. He informed me the cable box is their poorest one and does require THEIR wifi or won't function. Not sure what I have to do in order to get an upgrade else will just completely cancel their TV and go with Dish or something since that's the only other option (they are the only literal cable provider here). He did find some line splitter issues (splitters into splitters into....thanks builder) which he did fix up and that corrected a good part of the latency. I set up the satellite in the office (about 50-70 ft away in separate structure) and it fired right up through about 3 6-inch walls without skipping a beat. Checked speed from my office PC and was consistently getting above 300 vs less than 30 for the last several weeks. Not as good as the main house but hella faster than it ever has been.

I did find that where the modem is, apparently the builder did ONE thing right and did run ethernet from there to the TV in the opposite room. So relocated the main AP router behind the TV (good as that gives us faster connection for streaming!). The app speed test as well as my mobile via speedtest.net are both consistently hitting 800+ which is the absolute best it has ever been for a year.

Thanks @FURRYe38 for your guidance. It was just enough to get things going the right direction and hoping this is now rock solid. With your experience on this platform, if you have further suggestions to make things better all around then I'm happy to check it out. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Was there a FW update during the initial setup and installation? 
Hoping the FW got applied to the RBS, if not, could be a problem here. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP  is recommended. 

What happens if you use the RBRs web page and use the Add Satellite method here? 

Try pressing in on the sync button firmly until you see the front LED either turn ON and start blicking or might see a momentart change in Front LED blink behavior, this should be the RBS started the sync process. I've notice this on mine as well, i don't feel a bump in the press, just have to look at the front LED. 

Another try would be to connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and look on the RBRs web page to see if it gets connected here. If it does, use the IP address seen here to try and access the RBS web page in a web browser. Log in maybe admin and password. Check to see if FW version is off. 

Message 2 of 6
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Going through the initial set up of the main router, it did perform a FW update to v7.2.4.5 and have also asked it to look for updates again just to be safe; but nothing new to download. It is connected to the ISP modem with the Orbi provided network cable.

I again rebooted the entire system including the ISP modem. Without doing a thing, once the satellite powered up the light on the front went solid blue for a min or two then the light turned off. From what I've read, that is what you want but do not see it in the network map inside the app - Just the main router. I also did not attempt to use the webpage to manage this but can certainly log in and attempt; just assumed they were both the same in terms of functionality. 

The modem from the ISP is from AlticeOne model UBC1322. I do have them coming by any time now as I've had some service related issues but unrelated to the wifi performance. I also cannot turn off the wifi broadcast from their equipment or I lose my cable TV since they force program their cable boxes to their equipment with no choice to modify. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok yes if the front LED turned OFF fully, means its connected to the RBR. 

Check the RBRs web page for the RBS and it's status. It should show GOOD. 

If you can log into the RBS web page, check the FW version. Should be the same. If its not, download the RBS version file for v.5 and unpack the .zip file and use the RBS web page to navigate to where the .chk file is and send it there to the RBS. 

Your ISP modem is a gateway modem with built in router:

https://www.ubeeinteractive.com/?product=ubc1322

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Try option #2 but you'll need to leave the wifi radios enabled if your TV needs service here. 

You may run into problems having two wifi systems running. 

I would ask the ISP to change the channels to something far apart on the modem if your going to use the Orbi system. Say channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5Ghz, then set the RBR to 1 and 40. 

Be sure the RBR and RBS are place far away from the ISP modem as well. 20 feet distance minimum. 

Message 4 of 6
ericasjourney19
Aspirant

Logged into the website to check it out and status shows "good" and Firmware Version is
V7.2.4.5_4.2.2. Absolutely more options there which is good.

I have serious doubts on Optimum being able to do anything to help as they have the absolute worst service ever experienced in my 25yr IT career. Will have to look into it next week during their normal business hours to confirm my suspicion. We did just have an independent contractor they sent to inspect the lines due to ongoing speed/signal issues as well. He informed me the cable box is their poorest one and does require THEIR wifi or won't function. Not sure what I have to do in order to get an upgrade else will just completely cancel their TV and go with Dish or something since that's the only other option (they are the only literal cable provider here). He did find some line splitter issues (splitters into splitters into....thanks builder) which he did fix up and that corrected a good part of the latency. I set up the satellite in the office (about 50-70 ft away in separate structure) and it fired right up through about 3 6-inch walls without skipping a beat. Checked speed from my office PC and was consistently getting above 300 vs less than 30 for the last several weeks. Not as good as the main house but hella faster than it ever has been.

I did find that where the modem is, apparently the builder did ONE thing right and did run ethernet from there to the TV in the opposite room. So relocated the main AP router behind the TV (good as that gives us faster connection for streaming!). The app speed test as well as my mobile via speedtest.net are both consistently hitting 800+ which is the absolute best it has ever been for a year.

Thanks @FURRYe38 for your guidance. It was just enough to get things going the right direction and hoping this is now rock solid. With your experience on this platform, if you have further suggestions to make things better all around then I'm happy to check it out. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

At that distance and being in a different building, you may not see to spec speeds. Speeds decrease with distances and building materials. So for that your seeing now, thats probably going to be around the best you can get. At some point, concider putting in some CAT6A STP from the RBR to the other building if you can. Then you'll be even better.

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7