Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 loosing connection

Mats67
Aspirant

RBK852 loosing connection

I bought this piece of something a few months ago. In the beginning it worked fine. Now I am on my way to open the window and.... 

When router disconnects wifi and my 2 pc who is connected via ethernet cables go offline. So fun when I sit in teams meeting or play a online game. I have talked to support and got a few things to try but no. I have replaced my switch, I have bought new ethernet cables cat6. I disconnected the satellite and only used the router. same things happens. I connected one of my pc´s direct to my fiberbox on the wall. So now when the RBK852 router loose connection and all devices also loose connection my pc that is connected direct to fiberbox works fine. Full internetspeed to that pc and 0 speed to all other devices. The problem as I see is the rbk852 router. I have changed channels, I have uppgraded firmware as support told me too. I have changed channels. Either it is a hardware problem or firmware is not working as it should. I do see a lot of people have same problem and it is not just rbk852. My first post was removed by "someone" here so I try to be nicer this time.

Disapointed RBK852 customer Mats

Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 loosing connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
Does the front LED turn ON PINK when this happens on loosing connection? 

Have you tried the RBR at a different locations, say friend or families place to see if problem follows the RBR?

What is the brand and model is the switch being used? 

What is the brand and model of the PCs and the brand and model of the ethernet adapters in these PCs? 

What OS are you using on these PCs? 

How are the RBS connected to the RBR via ethernet? Directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between them? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What security modes are you using? WPA2/AES Only is best.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200 and enable SIP ALG.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

Hi, firmware is V4.6.14.3_2.3.12

modem and mrf I don´t know. there is a box on the wall and no info.

When it happens i just see that internet stops working on computers, iphone or tv. No pink lights, no lights at all.

I bought the best cables I could found. what you wrote.

Switch is Netgear GS108E 8-Port Gigabit Plus Switch v3.

RBS is not connected via ethernet. Only wifi.

My home is 2421sq ft

Distance is almost 15 ft

2,4 channel is now 12. I have tryed a few different. those you suggested.

5 channel is 48

And all the rest you ask me I have done with the support. I can do it again but i am pretty sure it wont help

Thanks for help

Mats

Message 3 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@Mats67 wrote:

Hi, firmware is V4.6.14.3_2.3.12

modem and mrf I don´t know. there is a box on the wall and no info. Can you take a picture of this modem thats on the wall? Is there a sticker under the modem? 

When it happens i just see that internet stops working on computers, iphone or tv. No pink lights, no lights at all.

I bought the best cables I could found. what you wrote.

Switch is Netgear GS108E 8-Port Gigabit Plus Switch v3. Can you disconnect this switch temporarily and see if this changes anything?

RBS is not connected via ethernet. Only wifi.

My home is 2421sq ft

Distance is almost 15 ft <Distance between the RBR and RBS is too close. 30 feet is starting distance. Please move the RBS out farther. You might try also turning OFF the RBS and just test with the RBR alone to see if the problem continues. 

2,4 channel is now 12. I have tryed a few different. those you suggested.

5 channel is 48

And all the rest you ask me I have done with the support. I can do it again but i am pretty sure it wont help

Also enable SIP ALG under Advanced tab/Setup/WAN Setup. 

Message 4 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

Hi again. I have unplugged the switch. Ethernet cable from fiber box in the RBR. Still the same As I wrote on my first message I unplugged and turned of RBS, no change. SIP ALG is enabled. Today it happens a lot and I see the speed when I check when offline goes from 700mb to 2.5gb. I have 500/500 from Bredband2. Everytime it disconnects and log me out from my games. And teams stop working. All wifi stops on phone and apple tv´s. I do think it is the RBR that mess it up. Either hardware or software. I have 2 pc´s in my office/computer room. When i connect for example Pc1 to fiber box and Pc2 to RBR Pc1 has full internet access when RBR loosing connection and Pc2 has no acess, phones no acess via wifi, no tv. If I turn off wifi on my iphone it works fine with 4G. The main problem must be RBR. But I can´t figure it out. I am working no till thursday. On friday I will use my old Asus mesh again to see what will happen.

Mats

Message 5 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Would you set up email logging and let us know if this changes the behavior any? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Reb...

Message 6 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

I did set it up 2 days ago but haven´t got any email back yet. I set everyday att 11 am. I can see when I connect in the log. But nothing change when I loose connection. 

Mats

Message 7 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

This morning it is like a rollercoaster with my internet. Both vith ethernetcable and wifi. I did plugg in PC2 into the fiber box in the wall and yes, internet all the time. Even when the RBK stops working both ethernet and wifi. PC2 is the only pc/iphone/appletv that works for now.

I will do a total reinstall today with the RBK and if that not helps.. I install my old asus mesh again just to try and see if it makes a difference.

Mats

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

This is concerning, You should be receiving emails at the set time. 

When you set up the email logs, did you go in and Select Send button in the logs and then refresh the logs to see the results of the email being sent? A error may be seen here if your not getting lots. Need to check this. 

@Mats67 wrote:

I did set it up 2 days ago but haven´t got any email back yet. I set everyday att 11 am. I can see when I connect in the log. But nothing change when I loose connection. 

Mats

Message 9 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

email is now working. 🙂

Mats

Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted...

Message 11 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

I can not see any strange things when i loose connection. I took photos this morning when it happend and also when i was back online. I don’t see any difference at all. Very strange.
Message 12 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

So with email logging enabled your still seeing the RBR loose the conenction or devices not get internet service access? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 13 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

I loose connection but not see anything strange in my logs.
Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

This might be a stretch for you but do you have a famiy or friend you could take the RBR too a different location to see if the problem follows? 

I guess you might enable WAN/LAN debug logging under routerIPAddress/debug.htm and lets get some logs to NG for review.

@KevinLiT @Blanca_O 

Message 15 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

I get logs now and i see i have some random disconnections.
Message 16 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would capture debug logs under RouterIPAddress/debug.htm so we can get them to NG. 

Is the RBR still loosing the connection with email logging enabled?

Message 17 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

I can see when i get connected to internet again but not when i loose the connection.
Message 18 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

So its still happening after enabling email logs?

Lets get debug logs captured. Enable the logging and let it run for 5 minutes, then save off.

Then enable logging again and let it run until you notice the connection loss then re-save off the debug logs. 

Please provide the brand and model# of the ISP modem or ONT that the RBR is connected too as well. 

After that, you might downgrade the system to v.11 and see if the problem continues. IF you do, be sure to downgrade the RBS first, then RBR lastly. You can disable FW auto updates on this version of FW as well. 

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Please provide the brand and model# of the ISP modem or ONT that the RBR is connected too as well. 

Also log into the RBR web page and under Advanced Tab/Internet section, do you see a ##.##.###.### address here or maybe 192. something or 10. something address here? 

Message 20 of 33
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Mats67,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with RBR850 when you are connected to your ISP. I understand that you have done some troubleshooting to resolve this issue. Based on the premise of this issue I believe you are experiencing translation issues within your network. Please change your RBR850 to AP mode to resolve this issue.

Please do the following to change your RBR850 to AP mode:
Navigate to Orbilogin-> ADVANCED->Advanced Setup-> AP Mode.

Please keep us updated on the status of this issue!!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team
Message 21 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

Hi Kevin. 

Did this and I had to reinstall devices. So I will keep you informed here how it will work.

Thanx

Mats

Message 22 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

In one way I m sorry... next way  I am pissed off I have so much problem so if I knew I would never have bought this rbk852.. Sorry. I have nothing good to say.

Mats

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 24 of 33
Mats67
Aspirant

Now I feel I just want my money back. this is worst items I have been worked with.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7