Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbs750 Ethernet setup

Therapydoc
Aspirant

Rbs750 Ethernet setup

I have an Rbr750 set up as my main router inside the house as well as one RBS 7:50 in the basement and as far as the house I get pretty good coverage. What I’m looking to expand is the outside pool area/pool house and my shop. Both of those areas have a cat 5E cable to get Ethernet connection. The trouble I’m running into is that I cannot get the satellites to stay connected even though they are a wired Ethernet connection. The main wire does run down stairs into a tp link switch box and from there I have about 6 wired connections I use. One to poolhouse (75 feet from house) one to shop (250’ from house) and remaining go to devices in the home. These are all hardwired so I cannot change to cat 6 (regrettable at this point). I did try to use rbs40v x 2 as extenders but I had tons of trouble with signal using them and tried to use them in the house and out in the poolhouse to no avail so I’ve gotten rid of those and just have main router and two satellites now. Ideally I’d like to add one more satellite

My question is, is there a setting I need to change in my advanced settings for the main router or anything to get my signal to stay on via Ethernet cable ?
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Rbs750 Ethernet setup

What model # is the switch? 
Be aware that some LAN switches, managed or with green ethernet can cause problems with Orbi systems and ethernet connected RBS. Non managed switches and non manage switches with out Green Ethernet features are recommended. 

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Also CAT6A STP (sheilded twisted pair) lan cabling is recommended of long distance or outside cable run installations. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Although the RBS40V has limited compatibility with the RBR750 router (i.e. only in Extender mode), it is not clear (to me) that Extender mode functions using an Ethernet connection.

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible 

The only satellites which will function as a satellite with the RBR750 router are the RBS750, RBS840, and RBS850.

I would expect all of those to work over a wired backhaul.  (Not so confident about the RBS350.)

Although not the most capable medium, Cat5E cable will support gigabit up to 90 meters, which is more than the distance to the shop.

If you want to roam seamlessly between units, only the truly compatible satellites (see above) will function in that mode. For the shop that is 250' away, there is a good chance that mobile devices may totally lose connection somewhere in between and simply connect to WiFi when the signal is strong enough.  Thus, any WiFi access point which is designed to connect to the host router over Ethernet may be sufficient.  (WiFi routers can often be placed into Access Point (AP) mode and function the same way.)  WiFi access points are available on Amazon for under $50.

Message 3 of 9
Therapydoc
Aspirant

The switch is tp link tl-sg108 and it does have the little green lights on each port. I’ll try to get one of those other switch boxes.

As far as wiring I can’t change it at this point. It’s in conduit but is also Pulled with multiple other wires.
Message 4 of 9
Therapydoc
Aspirant

I’ll have to look into the wifi access points. So you’re saying any brand of those will work via wired connection ? Are there any certain ones your recommend ? When I was using my my ISP equipment, they had a router or AP in the shop and it worked great. The problem with their equipment was that I was not getting great house coverage and they wanted me to add 3 more satellites to get coverage at $10 each per month so made no sense not to buy my own system.
Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

TP-Link TL-WA1201 sells for $40 on Amazon. It has only one gigabit Ethernet port for user devices.  If you need more 'wired' devices in the shop that implies adding an inexpensive switch or moving up to a product with more ports, such as the Archer AX55. ($108)

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya this switch as some green ethernet so maybe one cause of problems:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg108/

Try a different brand switch and to test this, try the RBS with the new switch in the same room or near by the RBR and run out of wall patch cables as a temp test to see how the RBS connects and syncs. Should work here. Then power OFF and put the RBS back in remote location using in wall cabling. IF the RBS has issue after this, then you'll need to investigate the in wall cabling and connectors and jacks. 

@Therapydoc wrote:
The switch is tp link tl-sg108 and it does have the little green lights on each port. I’ll try to get one of those other switch boxes.

As far as wiring I can’t change it at this point. It’s in conduit but is also Pulled with multiple other wires.

Message 7 of 9
Therapydoc
Aspirant

This may be a dumb question but I’m not an IT guy. For this access point will I have to connect to a different Internet source on my phone or will it automatically continue with my Orbi from in the house?
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If your phone is in range of the Orbi signal, of course it will connect and use the Orbi signal. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7