Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I bought a package from Amazon that included the RBR750 router and the RBS350 satellites

Rob6805
Tutor

Re: I bought a package from Amazon that included the RBR750 router and the RBS350 satellites

I bought a package from Amazon that included the RBR750 router and the RBS350 satellites. It does not perform well per the reasons listed in other posts. I considered buying two RBS750 satellites but have not done so yet.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Although chewing on lead has a certain cachet, I agree with @FURRYe38 that upgrading to the most recent firmware shown on the RBK653 Download site is probably a useful step.  Who knows? It might solve the problem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk653#download 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What exaxtly is the FW version on the RBR and RBS? 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rob6805 wrote:
 It does not perform well per the reasons listed in other posts.

It might be worth describing how the performance is inadequate.

Originally, many mesh systems used a single band for both purposes and customers did not appear to be particularly upset about their performance.  Because in the US and many other countries there are two 5G unlicensed frequency bands that are not contiguous (and thus have to be two separate 80MHz bands rather than a single 160MHz band, manufacturers hit on the idea of using one band for user devices and the other band for connection between mesh units. 

It takes only 25Mbps to stream 4K video  A Dual band mesh system can do quite a bit before maxing out capacity, and is less costly to manufacture (and thus can be sold for less). 

So, what's going on?

Message 3 of 11
Rob6805
Tutor

The RBS350's constantly go out of sync with the RBR750 router. If I pull up the settings application I can see the sync status toggle back and forth. It's done this from day one. I have a wifi camera that is closest to one of the satellites but it will not connect and use the satellite. It connects to the router and thus has a poorer connection.
Message 4 of 11
Rob6805
Tutor

RBR750 FW = V.4.6.14.3. RBS FW = V4.6.3.16. The Satellites are > 30' from the router.
Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Very strange. Netgear's support site does not show version v4.6.3.(anything) for the RBS350 included in the RBK563 package or for the RBS350 that is sold with the RBR350 dual band router.

Wonder where that firmware came from?

Message 6 of 11
Rob6805
Tutor

No idea. But when I first got the package and still had free support I do believe one of the agents sent me some FW to update the satellites. I really should just bite the bullet and get two RBS750's.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS just needs updating as they are behind in FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBK653-Firmware-Version-4-6-14-...

@Rob6805 wrote:
RBR750 FW = V.4.6.14.3. RBS FW = V4.6.3.16. The Satellites are > 30' from the router.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Although chewing on lead has a certain cachet, I agree with @FURRYe38 that upgrading to the most recent firmware shown on the RBK653 Download site is probably a useful step.  Who knows? It might solve the problem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk653#download 

Message 9 of 11
Rob6805
Tutor

@CrimpOn @FURRYe38 

I just updated the RBS350 satellites to the same FW ver that the RBR750 router has.  I now see the backhaul status as Good for both where before they would toggle out of sync.  The one that is furthest away is using 2.4GHz which I assume is to be expected.  Thank you both for the help!! Orbi sat's.JPG

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad you got it working. Please keep in mind about the FW versions between the 350 and 750. You'll need to keep this at the same level for the 650 series kit. v7 FW is not compatible. 

Farther distances will connect to 2.4Ghz.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7