Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recently upgraded to Fiber 1gig

spewak
Luminary

Recently upgraded to Fiber 1gig

I am having the same issue. Recently upgraded to Fiber 1gig. At first, my wired desktop tested at 940 down and up. Perfect.

Now, after the firmware update to the latest version 4.6.8.5.219, the best I can get is 750/560 whilst the internal Router page speed test runs at 940/940. I bought a new gigabit NIC, to no avail. I am at a loss. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it to no avail. Running Win11. Anybody have any ideas?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
spewak
Luminary

Re: Recently upgraded to Fiber 1gig

Just as an edit to my original post:

I reset my RBR850 and in the process, regained the speediness of my Directv Stream boxes when changing channels and fast forwarding.

After the reset, I still experienced slower than normal speeds on my wired desktop.

I then reset Windows 11 and my problem was solved at long last.

Turns out, the REAL culprit was the anti-virus/security software. I was adding programs one by one and testing speeds and it wasn't until adding that security software was reloaded that my speeds dove. I uninstalled that software and am just using the Windows 11 defender software.

Now, speeds are back to normal.

Moral of the story IMHO:

The speed of the RBR 850 did degrade somewhat and a reset helped, as I never reset after the firmware upgrade.

The other reset was necessary so as to find the culprit to my dilemma.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure your wired PCs ethernet adapter is up to date. 

Test a different PC to compare results.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the CAT# lan cable between the RBR and RBS? CAT6 UTP is recommended. If the modem or ONT supports 2.5Gb rates, CAT6A STP would be recommended.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.

Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 6
spewak
Luminary

Thanks as always Furry,

I just used the Reset feature in Windows 11, although not pain free, it more than fixed my problem. Now speedtest shows correct up and down speeds.

Like I said, not a pain free way, but it was all I could do to fix the issue. I believe it was a bad update from M'soft.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 6
spewak
Luminary

Just as an edit to my original post:

I reset my RBR850 and in the process, regained the speediness of my Directv Stream boxes when changing channels and fast forwarding.

After the reset, I still experienced slower than normal speeds on my wired desktop.

I then reset Windows 11 and my problem was solved at long last.

Turns out, the REAL culprit was the anti-virus/security software. I was adding programs one by one and testing speeds and it wasn't until adding that security software was reloaded that my speeds dove. I uninstalled that software and am just using the Windows 11 defender software.

Now, speeds are back to normal.

Moral of the story IMHO:

The speed of the RBR 850 did degrade somewhat and a reset helped, as I never reset after the firmware upgrade.

The other reset was necessary so as to find the culprit to my dilemma.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Security software will always impact something. Why I disable it before I speed test anything. 

Glad you found the culprit. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7