Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace Orbi RBR50

DocRJNC
Tutor

Replace Orbi RBR50

I currently have an RBR50 router with two satellites serving a 5,000 SQ Ft house.  I have recently had issues with the satellites going offline and devices dropping connections.  Since the router/satellites are about 4.5 years old and I have several smart home devices (cameras, ring doorbell, blink camera, cloud device), I think it is time to replace/refresh my hardware.  I am also seeing several dead spots in my house I didn't notice before.

I am in the process of purchasing an RBK853 router/satellite setup and would like to get a feeling for the replacement process.  Would it be possible to keep my current WIFI name and IP address setup by just:

1.  Removing the current hardware.

2. Set up the new router and give it the name of the current WIFI network / IP address stack.  (Hopefully, all the current devices would connect since the same network name / IP addresses are being used).

3.  Add the additional satellites.

Would the process be this simple, or am I just dreaming?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RJ

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Replace Orbi RBR50

@DocRJNC wrote:

I currently have an RBR50 router with two satellites serving a 5,000 SQ Ft house. 

For this size of home just one RBS would be needed. IF two RBS, I would reduce the power from 100% to 50%.

I have recently had issues with the satellites going offline and devices dropping connections.  Since the router/satellites are about 4.5 years old and I have several smart home devices (cameras, ring doorbell, blink camera, cloud device), I think it is time to replace/refresh my hardware.  I am also seeing several dead spots in my house I didn't notice before.

I am in the process of purchasing an RBK853 router/satellite setup and would like to get a feeling for the replacement process.  Would it be possible to keep my current WIFI name and IP address setup by just:

1.  Removing the current hardware. Turn OFF the RBS50s. Leave the RBR50 running for now. I would run the new system as is out of the box first before doing any FW updates on the new system. 

2. Set up the new router and give it the name of the current WIFI network / IP address stack.  (Hopefully, all the current devices would connect since the same network name / IP addresses are being used). Yes you can do this. I would recommend setting up the new system off line first, get it up and running with same SSID name and password and IP configuration. When the RBR is ready. Power it off and place it at the RBR50s location and plug the power adapter in. Reboot the ISP modem and while modem reboots, connect the WAN cable from the ISP modem to the new RBR along with any other LAN cables. When the front LED starts to pulsate WHITE on the new RBR, power OFF the RBR 50. Your wifi devices should auto migrate and connect to the new RBR. 

After the RBR is online and working, power ON the RBS. 

3.  Add the additional satellites. RBS50s are not compatible with Orbi AX systems. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@DocRJNC wrote:

I currently have an RBR50 router with two satellites serving a 5,000 SQ Ft house. 

For this size of home just one RBS would be needed. IF two RBS, I would reduce the power from 100% to 50%.

I have recently had issues with the satellites going offline and devices dropping connections.  Since the router/satellites are about 4.5 years old and I have several smart home devices (cameras, ring doorbell, blink camera, cloud device), I think it is time to replace/refresh my hardware.  I am also seeing several dead spots in my house I didn't notice before.

1.  Removing the current hardware. Turn OFF the RBS50s. Leave the RBR50 running for now. I would run the new system as is out of the box first before doing any FW updates on the new system. 

2. Set up the new router and give it the name of the current WIFI network / IP address stack.  (Hopefully, all the current devices would connect since the same network name / IP addresses are being used). Yes you can do this. I would recommend setting up the new system off line first, get it up and running with same SSID name and password and IP configuration. When the RBR is ready. Power it off and place it at the RBR50s location and plug the power adapter in. Reboot the ISP modem and while modem reboots, connect the WAN cable from the ISP modem to the new RBR along with any other LAN cables. When the front LED starts to pulsate WHITE on the new RBR, power OFF the RBR 50. Your wifi devices should auto migrate and connect to the new RBR. 

After the RBR is online and working, power ON the RBS. 

3.  Add the additional satellites. RBS50s are not compatible with Orbi AX systems. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I switch routers a lot and have used the same ssid/password through all the replacements. Its worked great everytime. 

Message 3 of 6
DocRJNC
Tutor

Furrye38,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I am a techie; but not at ease with networking.  What you have said calms my fears about making the switch.

One additional question:  How do you set up the new router offline?  Can I just go into the Orbi app (iPhone) and add a new network?

All the rest of your steps are crystal clear.  Thanks for making it plain.

Robert

Message 4 of 6
DocRJNC
Tutor

Plemans.

Your words of encouragement put me at ease.  I am excited about my upgrades and look forward to plugging them in.  I also have a Firewalla purple that I can use as a router to put in front of my network.  Since using the same SSID / IP stack is a common practice.  I might get bold, switch my orbi router to use the firewalla router, and turn my orbi's in AP's next week!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  Sharing your experience is appreciated.

Robert

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I've not used the Orbi app to setup a Orbi while not connected to a ISP nodem(offline). I always use a wired PC and web browser connected to the pre-staging router and use it's web page to set it up. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7