Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router blocking a single website

Mike9225
Aspirant

Router blocking a single website

I have an RBR750 system with two satellites. Recently, the router has begun blocking access to one particular site, which happens to be my personal website. 

I can access the site by any method other than through the Netgear router (5G, portable hotspot, direct connection to the modem bypassing the router entirely.) But access to the site is blocked from the router using either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. It is also blocked on any device using the router. So for example, the site is blocked from my desktop computer but also blocked on my phone or tablet if they are using that router's wi-fi. The site is not blocked using other wi-fi networks, such as my neighbor or a public wi-fi.

I have looked at the Security configuration and there no blocked IP addresses there. In fact, both site blocking and service blocking are turned off.

Ideas appreciated.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router blocking a single website

When accessing the web site using the IP address (which removes DNS from the first connection - although web sites often generate numerous additional connections which may need to be resolved) what happens?

i.e. the web browser reports "Timed Out", or.....

What tools are available for troubleshooting? For example, the Orbi router can be set to record LAN and WAN traffic into a pcap file which can be opened with a packet analyzer (Wireshark for Windows, tcpdump or other programs for Mac).

• Open the router debug page: http://orbilogin.net/debut.htm
  • Select the option to Enable LAN/WAN packet capture
  • Start Capture
  • Attempt to access the web page
  • On the debug page select Save Debug Log
  • This will place a zip file on the computer called debug-log.zip
  • Inside the zip file, lan.pcap will contain internal data packets and wan.pcap will contain packets captured on the WAN port.
  • If there are packets in the WAN capture from the Orbi to the internet IP of the web site, then the Orbi is not "blocking".
    If there are no packets on the WAN capture going to the IP address of the web server, something is seriously wrong.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Do you have Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

Does this happen on more than one devices? 

Had this been working before? 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there a specific message reported by browsers?

Which DNS servers is this system using?

I would be interested to determine if

• The URL is being resolved correctly into an IP address
  • The IP address can be reached directly (does the web server respond to ICMP [ping] requests?)
Message 3 of 7
Mike9225
Aspirant

I do not have security or parental controls enabled. Yes, I have good cables and yes, it was working on this site until the last two or three days, with no changes in configuration.

I've also tried other browsers, but as I said in my original post, I've hooked my iMac directly to my modem, bypassing the Omni completely, and was able to readily access the site.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
Mike9225
Aspirant

And one more followup.  Yes, I get the same response with any device connected to my Omni.  So I cannot access the site through my iPhone connected to wi-fi on my Omni, but can readily access the site on the same iPhone using 5G.

So it is definitely an issue with the Omni somehow blocking access to that site.  I've also tried to access the site directly with the IP address with the same result.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try a different DNS Server. Here's a few for ipv4. Also remember to change the ipv6 dns server if ipv6 is enabled
CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
GoogleDNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

When accessing the web site using the IP address (which removes DNS from the first connection - although web sites often generate numerous additional connections which may need to be resolved) what happens?

i.e. the web browser reports "Timed Out", or.....

What tools are available for troubleshooting? For example, the Orbi router can be set to record LAN and WAN traffic into a pcap file which can be opened with a packet analyzer (Wireshark for Windows, tcpdump or other programs for Mac).

• Open the router debug page: http://orbilogin.net/debut.htm
  • Select the option to Enable LAN/WAN packet capture
  • Start Capture
  • Attempt to access the web page
  • On the debug page select Save Debug Log
  • This will place a zip file on the computer called debug-log.zip
  • Inside the zip file, lan.pcap will contain internal data packets and wan.pcap will contain packets captured on the WAN port.
  • If there are packets in the WAN capture from the Orbi to the internet IP of the web site, then the Orbi is not "blocking".
    If there are no packets on the WAN capture going to the IP address of the web server, something is seriously wrong.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7