Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router "stealing" IoT devices from satellites

MPP55
Guide

Router "stealing" IoT devices from satellites

My system: NBK752 (router: NBR750 + 3 satellites: RBS750)

Distance between the router and the satellites: more than 35 feet

The satellites are connected to the router via a wired backhaul. and are evenly distributed through the house

I have 17 IoT devices connected, the most of them in the livingroom, very close to one of the satellites.

Periodically the router "steals" the IoT devices from the satellites (especially 2.4 gHz devices but also some 5 gHz ones), worsening the WiFi connection to the point that I have to disconnect the livingroom webcam, for example, and to reboot it to get it work again.

When I reboot all the IoT devices they immediately re-connect to the closest satellite for a while (days or hours).

Then the router takes over again...

Sometimes the IoT devices are "redistributed" to another (more or less) close satellite instead of being "captured" by the router.

The satellites are all perfectly working, no disconnections (UPS), latest firmware

I have seen in the discussions that there is not a permanent solution to force a satellite to connect to a certain device/IP address.

The most of the times they still function at a reduced speed (and for many of them speed is not a problem). But sometimes they simply get stuck and unreachable...

I cannot understand this operational logic...

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10

@MPP55 wrote:

Periodically the router "steals" the IoT devices from the satellites (especially 2.4 gHz devices but also some 5 gHz ones), worsening the WiFi connection to the point that I have to disconnect the livingroom webcam, for example, and to reboot it to get it work again.

It is usually down to the WiFi clients, your IoT devices, to pick which wifi source they connect to.

Might be worth starting on the "client" side to see what you can control there.

Message 2 of 10
MPP55
Guide

I guess they are too “basic” to find a way to force them to renew/connect to a specific AP…
What’s strange is the fact that the re-assignation occurs periodically.
And why they tend to negotiate with a device (the router) with a weaker signal…
BTW, I have found a provisory solution for the webcam: its power supply is plugged into a smart plug and I can restart the cam with a simple click (the smart plug works even with the lowest signal)
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 10
MPP55
Guide

• 3200 Sq Ft
  • More than 40 feet
  • Already done with no effect at all...

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, you only need the RBR and one RBS, Try turning OFF two RBS and check...

Message 6 of 10
MPP55
Guide

Nope, the house is “horseshoe” shaped around a courtyard and I need all the satellites…
I have mapped the wifi signal
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 8 of 10
MPP55
Guide

It seems (SEEMS...) that unchecking the option "20/40 Mhz coexistence" has solved the problem.

Since then the IoT devices stay connected to the closest satellite instead of randomly migrating back to the router.

Crossing fingers...

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation