Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 (SXR80 Router and SXS80 Satellite) compatibility with any other Orbi units (new or old)?

SXK80 (SXR80 Router and SXS80 Satellite) compatibility with any other Orbi units (new or old)?

Did a thorough search I thought to figure out if ANY other Orbi satellites could mesh with the system I have for my at home business (SXK80) and came up dry. I'm particularly interested in possibly an external satellite to feed the yard for BBQs, security cameras and alarm system. I currently have the SXR80 router in one corner of the house mid-level and the SXS80 satellite in the 3rd level upstairs diagonally (so like NW corner of mid-level and SE cortner of the 3rd level. House seems to be pretty well coated and never any issues, I do however, have some disconnects from the outside devices that are mounted to the exterior house walls. So, they are as close as I can get them to any signal coming from the inside of the house.

Any ideas or suggestions or additional satellites I can tinker with? I even have all the IoT devices on a separate SSID using 2.4/5GHz to remedy any kind of bottlenecking from the internal devices, which there are a lot of (business, kids, etc.)!! Thanks for any help. --Kirk

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: SXK80 (SXR80 Router and SXS80 Satellite) compatibility with any other Orbi units (new or old)?

Correct.  There is a world of difference between devices which are designed to move and those which remain in place.

For example, suppose there is an IoT device that does not get good coverage (garage door opener, irrigation controller, exterior camera, doorbell, etc.)  99% of IoT devices are 2.4G WiFi and require modest bandwidth.  An expensive WiFi extender, such as a TP-Link N300 (under $20US) or a Netgear EX3700 (under $40US) can be placed where it gets a decent signal from an Orbi unit, but is closer to that needy device.  For the "extension", choose a different WiFi SSID, such as "<orbi-name>-ext1"  (use "ext2" for the next such device, etc.) 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: SXK80 (SXR80 Router and SXS80 Satellite) compatibility with any other Orbi units (new or old)?

More SXS80 satellites can be added, and will provide "seamless" WiFi on all channels (Guest, Employee, IoT, Administration).  When placed in a window, there will be a lot of coverage outside, with no need for exterior power and weatherproof enclosure.  There have been several posts by users who mounted ordinary Orbi satellites in weatherproof enclosures with great success.

If a seamless network is not essential, then any brand of WiFi extender can be used to expand the coverage area.  The (aging) RBS50Y Orbi satellite (outdoor rated), for example, will connect to any brand of WiFi router as a WiFi "extender".

Message 2 of 4

Ok, that is what I was thinking. In order to keep Mesh connectivity, I'd only be able to add an additional SXS80, correct?

If I just wanted to try and "juice" up the external areas a bit I could add the RBS50Y but with the possibility that devices fall-off or just won't continue to mesh to the best satellite connection. This probably wouldn't be a terrible solution given the fact that the cameras are static and don't physically move around...it would just be the things like kids and their phones or other devices that come in and out of the house at a given moment, correct? Am I thinking somewhat accurately along those lines? Thanks a ton for the help and wuick reply!! --Kirk

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Correct.  There is a world of difference between devices which are designed to move and those which remain in place.

For example, suppose there is an IoT device that does not get good coverage (garage door opener, irrigation controller, exterior camera, doorbell, etc.)  99% of IoT devices are 2.4G WiFi and require modest bandwidth.  An expensive WiFi extender, such as a TP-Link N300 (under $20US) or a Netgear EX3700 (under $40US) can be placed where it gets a decent signal from an Orbi unit, but is closer to that needy device.  For the "extension", choose a different WiFi SSID, such as "<orbi-name>-ext1"  (use "ext2" for the next such device, etc.) 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7