Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Second satellite RBS750 not connecting to router wirelessly

solaris10
Aspirant

Second satellite RBS750 not connecting to router wirelessly

I just purchased an AX4200 Orbi system with the router and 2 satellites.

The router is set up in AP mode as I already have a decent router and connected to my FTTH modem/router. The first satellite is also connected to the FTTH router (wired backhaul). The second satellite should be connected wirelessly to the router/AP. But so far I have not managed to connect the second satellite to my router. The distance between the second satellite and the router is about 5m (~16 feet for my US friends) and they are in line of sight (no obstacles at all). But still it would not connect. I already performed a reset of the satellite using a paper clip untill the light went yellow. But so far all the connection attempts have resulted in a magenta light on the satellite. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@solaris10 wrote:

I did just that last night with one exception that it is not possible to set an IP address reservation if you configure the RBR to AP mode. Right, however you CAN set up IP address reservation on the main host router for the the RBR and RBS. 

Right now I have a working configuration! The most important detail is to keep the RBR connected to the internet router through the WAN port of the RBR!

Very important: even if you configure your RBR750 to run in AP Mode, keep the connection to the existing network in the WAN port of the router! The satellites that should be connected in as wired satellites need to be connected through one of the LAN ports.

That is correct. 

Thanks so much FURRYe38 for your efforts to make my setup work!

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure the RBS have same version of FW loaded on each. 

Turn OFF the wired RBS and try to connect the wireless RBS to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

The firmware version of the RBR750 router and the RBS750 satellites is V4.6.5.14. The check for an update did not show any newer version available.

After completely resetting the router and the satellites and repeating the initial setup, the first wireless satellite connected fine! The second satellite was off during this initial setup.

The minute I turned the wired satellite on and connected the RBR750 router to my FTTH router through one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port the wireless satellite gets disconnected and the wired satellite shows up as connected and wired. I switched the connection of the RBR750 to the LAN port because of this support document: What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System 

Do I have to connect the wired satellite to one of the LAN ports of the RBR750 with the RBR750 router connected to the FTTH router through the WAN port?

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try connecting the 2nd RBS to the RBR via ethernet to see if it will sync. IF it does, disconnect the ethernet cable from the RBS and then see if it will connect wirelessly.

Yes, any RBS needs to be connected to the back of the RBRs LAN ports. You can have a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS if you need more ports. 

Message 4 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

After resetting the RBS750 and connecting it to one of the LAN ports of the RBR base it connected just fine! It showed up on top of the list of connected devices as one of the wired satellites.

But then I disconnected the ethernet cable and that was it for the connection. It would not connect anymore although it was right next to the RBR base. It constantly ends up with a magenta status light.

I don't get it, why does it connect wirelessly when the RBR is connected through the WAN port but not if it is connected through the LAN port.

I dont't need the router functionality of the Orbi system. I just need a mix of wired and wireless access points to cover my entire appartment.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try connecting the 2nd RBS to the RBR via ethernet to see if it will sync. IF it does, disconnect the ethernet cable from the RBS and then see if it will connect wirelessly.

Yes, any RBS needs to be connected to the back of the RBRs LAN ports. You can have a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS if you need more ports. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the other RBS wirelessly connect instead of wired? 

Can you put the 1st RBS wirelessly in place of the 2nd RBS and the 2nd RBS wired where the 1st RBS is?

What happens if you turn OFF the 2nd RBS and then select REMOVE from the RBRs web page. Then try to re-sync? 

Message 6 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

Hey FURRYe38,

Thank you very much for putting so much energy into answering my questions!

I will try to swap the RBS tonight and see if I can get this mixed backhaul to work. But I also opened a ticket with Netgear Support to see if I get any helpful answer.

I will let you know about the outcome of the switching of the two RBS tonight!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the other RBS wirelessly connect instead of wired? 

Can you put the 1st RBS wirelessly in place of the 2nd RBS and the 2nd RBS wired where the 1st RBS is?

What happens if you turn OFF the 2nd RBS and then select REMOVE from the RBRs web page. Then try to re-sync? 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

Well, that did not work either...

The RBS I tried to connect wirelessly before, connected over ethernet just fine!

But the second RBS that was connected over ethernet before, would not connect wirelessly.

I just hope my setup is actually supported. The mixed backhaul is something I checked out before I purchased the Orbi set.

Let's see what Netgear Support is coming back with...

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

While your waiting on NG support, You might try a full ON reset on the RBR and RBS. Press and release the reset button for 15 seconds. 

I would take both RBS to the same room or near the RBR. While the RBS are turned OFF, walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and get it set up first. Skip the adding the RBS during the setup wizard. Once the RBR is fully set up again, turn ON 1 RBS and add it using the sync buttons on the RBS and RBR or use the RBRs add sattellite feature. Add 1 RBS and wait for the front LED to turn BLUE then fully OFF. Check the status on the RBRs web page as well. Be sure to WAIT for GOOD and 5G. Set a IP address reservation for the RBS on the RBR. Set something like 192.168.1.200. If you can get to this point, turn OFF the 1st RBS and turn ON the 2nd RBS. Do same thing to get 2nd RBS added. 

IF you can get both to sync wirelessly and front LED to turn OFF, then turn OFF the RBS and move them to the remote locations. I would turn ON the farthest RBS first  and let it sync wirelessly. Then turn on the nearest RBS to the RBR. Wait for front LEDs to turn OFF. Check the status on the RBR. You may have one thats reads POOR but thats ok if thats the one thats going to be wired. After the front LED turns OFF, connect it to the RBR via ethernet. Front LED should turn ON and go BLUE maybe. Check the RBR status. For this 1 RBS, it should change to Wired after a few minutes...Might have to refresh the RBRs web page. 

This is the process I use to connect my two RBS via ethernet and it works for me. 

Message 10 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

I will try this tonight.

I was actually thinking of doing something along those lines to completely wipe all elements of the setup and repeat the setup. Will let you know about the outcome! 🙂

Thanks a lot!

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 14
solaris10
Aspirant

I did just that last night with one exception that it is not possible to set an IP address reservation if you configure the RBR to AP mode.

Right now I have a working configuration! The most important detail is to keep the RBR connected to the internet router through the WAN port of the RBR!

Very important: even if you configure your RBR750 to run in AP Mode, keep the connection to the existing network in the WAN port of the router! The satellites that should be connected in as wired satellites need to be connected through one of the LAN ports.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@solaris10 wrote:

I did just that last night with one exception that it is not possible to set an IP address reservation if you configure the RBR to AP mode. Right, however you CAN set up IP address reservation on the main host router for the the RBR and RBS. 

That is correct. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7