Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sending logs by email not working for me

donawalt
Virtuoso

Sending logs by email not working for me

I have not gotten an email of the log for a long time. Today I noticed 2 error entries about 3 hours ago:

[Internet disconnected] Saturday, Nov 05,2022 15:46:24
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Saturday, Nov 05,2022 15:40:23
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.20, Saturday, Nov 05,2022 15:40:22
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Saturday, Nov 05,2022 15:16:03
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Saturday, Nov 05,2022 15:07:05

I checked the settings, as I have logs sent to GMail.

Before I had:

primary email address: my email address

outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

outgoing mail server port number: 587

I have "My server requires authentication, and I added my email address and password.

I tried changing 587 to 465. I also generated a new app-specific password to use with my email address.

Then I clicked on "Send log" about 4 times. I have no email of the log (not in spam either), and there is no message in the log - it's been 30 minutes now.

Is this broken or have I done something wrong?

Message 1 of 12
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: Sending logs by email not working for me

@donawalt 

Are you using your regular GMail password or did you set up a 2FA password?   To be able to use GMAIL for sending logs, you need to follow the instructions here:  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-two-factor-authentication-2fa-gmail-outlook   to set up the 2FA password, then use that password in the setup.

You will need to use port 587  and requires authentication...   provide your gmail address and the 2FA password that Google provided when you followed the setup link noted above.

Message 2 of 12
donawalt
Virtuoso

Hi @TC_in_Montana , thanks - I Had 587 originally, I'll go back to it. I do have an App password, which Google says is for apps that can't handle 2FA:

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 3.04.26 PM.png

The link you sent was a little different for Outlook than what I am doing as far as I can tell, but I should have it correct.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't get email logging working again just disable it. Logging fix hasn't come thru nor has been fully addressed, even on the 9 series so I turn off email logging and even Local logging has been disabled as well. I recommend not using it until NG can address these issues and fix them.

Message 4 of 12
donawalt
Virtuoso

I did disable it. @TC_in_Montana tried about 100 things and it did not work. 

What happens when the log fills (or should I say what is SUPPOSED to happen) if there is no email - should it just clear the log?

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

What happens when the log fills (or should I say what is SUPPOSED to happen) if there is no email - should it just clear the log?

The Orbi log is a "rolling" type of log.  When it fills available space, the oldest entry is deleted every time a new entry is added.

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps this is irrelevant (sorry).......

When Google finally required that application specific passwords, I did as the articles describe. Created one on Google then pasted it into the password field on the Email screen.  Works fine.

(here's the irrelevant part) When I set up email alerts, I had messages come from one GMail account and go to a different GMail account.  Are you using the same GMail account for both "to" and "from"?  (Cannot imagine why that would make a difference, but in the Orbi-sphere, sometimes the oddest details trip me up.)

Message 7 of 12
donawalt
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn , yes, one of the things we tried was I used my Gmail account to send to my work email. That didn't work either. @TC_in_Montana was able to use his email address to email to my gmail address, but he is on RBR960 not RBR850.

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Another tiny difference.  I am using port 465 for smtp.gmail.com

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 12
donawalt
Virtuoso

Yeah, tried port 465. Also, been on 2FA for a long time, and I have a 16 char app password.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Wouldn't be surprised if logging is just broke. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7