Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I buy an RBK853 or RBK843S

roxyroo
Tutor

Should I buy an RBK853 or RBK843S

I am having lots of problems with my current setup.  I have an ATT Gateway with two Airtie mesh extenders.  Also have a second network running it bridge mode with a AmpliFi HD mesh and two nodes.  I have over 100 things connected, although not all running all the time.  Many of these things are iOT devices likes plugs and switches.  Also have a bunch of WiFi cameras, Roku and FireTV devices not to mention a few computers and WiFi calling.  

Will either of these devices solve my problem of tempermental connection and pauses in connectivity.  Sort of at witts end here.  I have a large home of about 4,500 sqft conditioned space with a partial upstairs.  Also need to get wifi out to my garage where I have a sprinkler controller, water heater and garage doors all internet enabled.

Is the RBK843S the same as the RBK853 with the only difference being a max speed of 5.7 rather than 6.0 Gbps?  Costco has this one for about $150 less than the RBK853.

Thanks for any feedback.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the spec sheets for each model here and decide:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Just in out the model #s and select the Documentaion button. 

For ISP modems with built in routers. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 9
Heavenlyride
Initiate

Cannot speak to effectiveness of the S version.  I have the rbk853.   I bought it about a month ago.  

old setup was ATT.  Eero pro mesh.   House is about 4500 sq ft brick house.  I had drops regularly at end of house and no support to garage or yard.   When it did connect it was SLOW, maybe 5mbs.  The other challenge is my three TVs could not get enough throughput to run concurrently.

today I have xfinity, I  own my 3.1 modem.   I connected the Orbi 853.   I have strong signal everywhere inside AND outside the house.  One network name (ssid) services my 50+ iot, television, Sonos, fire tv et.al.  Everything has been operating without a lag and working outside in the yard I do not note a drop off in speed.  I am sure it degregates, but on my computer, phone or iPad it does effect my work.

after the system is on for 48 hours it stabilizes and delivers as promises.   The 853 is overkill I believe,  could have gotten good coverage from 1 satellite.  But nothing exeeds like having more than you need.

I will caution you that if you have to replace the modem after initial setup, you will have to do a reset to Orbi.  That means setting up the system again.   Tried to reinitializethe system for a few hours before I reset to factory.   Much quicker and less frustrating.

Good luck.  The system has massive throughput with the 1.2g coming in.   I see 800 to 925 coming across my house and no buffering to devices.

Message 3 of 9
claudiut
Apprentice

My honest recommendation is to stay away from Netgear equipment at the moment. Their firmware is garbage on any model, and in my case I had ro downgrade and block upgrades (lots of hours wasted) to get some stability back, but lose some functionality of the newer firmware. I wish I did my research (read all the issues ppl are having) before buying.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

S means it only comes with a Subscription for Armor that I believe is a year subscription...I think.

@roxyroo wrote:

I am having lots of problems with my current setup.  I have an ATT Gateway with two Airtie mesh extenders.  Also have a second network running it bridge mode with a AmpliFi HD mesh and two nodes.  I have over 100 things connected, although not all running all the time.  Many of these things are iOT devices likes plugs and switches.  Also have a bunch of WiFi cameras, Roku and FireTV devices not to mention a few computers and WiFi calling.  

Will either of these devices solve my problem of tempermental connection and pauses in connectivity.  Sort of at witts end here.  I have a large home of about 4,500 sqft conditioned space with a partial upstairs.  Also need to get wifi out to my garage where I have a sprinkler controller, water heater and garage doors all internet enabled.

Is the RBK843S the same as the RBK853 with the only difference being a max speed of 5.7 rather than 6.0 Gbps?  Costco has this one for about $150 less than the RBK853.

Thanks for any feedback.

Message 5 of 9
roxyroo
Tutor

Yes I think you are right, it comes with a year and you have to pay after that.  I think from Netgear they only come with 90 days and then you have to pay.  Other than that I am trying unsuccessfully to find out what if any hardware difference there is, I get different answers depending what I read and what person at support I get.  Some it claims 100+ connections while other shows 60.  I assume total throughput is only 5.7 gbps versus 6.0 for the 853 but I doubt that makes any real difference.  I am more concerned with speed and capability of processor to assure no lags with all my gear.  Also Costco has a year tech support versus only 90 day with Netgear.  Can't believe I can't get straight answers from Netgear.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 9
roxyroo
Tutor

Thanks for the links.  Looks to me as far as it impacts me the only physical difference is the 843S is 900 mbps on the 2.4GHz band versus 2400 on the 853 and total thoughput limited to 5.7Gbps versus 6.0 Gbps.  Thanks.  Not sure why there is other conflicting info and support could not accurately tell me that.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe if speed and handling is important, you may want to go with the 850 series. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7