Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Single computer not connecting to internet when on RBS850 satellites

Fred_Volkert
Aspirant

Single computer not connecting to internet when on RBS850 satellites

My network is an RBR850 router and 2 RBS850 satellites. When my iMac boots its wifi attaches to the router and can access the internet; later it switches to a satellite located closer and then it cannot access the internet (with ! triangle error symbol), but is still listed on the network. Same result with either satellite. If I turn off wifi on the mac and use LAN from the satellite, internet works. Other devices (newer iPhone and MacBook Pro) access internet usiing wifi from satellite without problems. MacOS and Orbi firmware freshly updated, no effect. No effect of reboots of mac, router, or satellite (same process repeats). Forgetting/renewing network same. Refreshing DHCP same.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Single computer not connecting to internet when on RBS850 satellites

@Fred_Volkert wrote:

Thanks for the rapid response! I checked the iMac in the device list in that menu and clicked the Refresh button; the MAC address stayed the same, so I infer it's hardware-based.

(Not having any "fruit" laptops, I am not really up on iMac, but.....)  There should be a specific setting in the Network Settings control panel (or whatever Apple calls it).  Hardware or Randomize.

Just personally, I find the whole Access Control business more trouble than it is worth.  If someone can guess my 25 character WiFi password, they are welcome to use my internet.  I have yet to see a post from anyone remarking, "I just LOVE this Access Control feature."  What happens if Access Control is disabled?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Some random questions:

• Is Access Control enabled on this Orbi system?
    (On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Security Menu)
  • on the iMac, is the WiFi set to:
    • Use the hardware MAC address for WiFi, or
    • Randomize the MAC address when connecting to WiFi?
Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fred_Volkert wrote:

but is still listed on the network.

Does the Attached Devices (web interface) or Connected Devices (Orbi app) show the device moving from the router to the satellite?

Message 3 of 7
Fred_Volkert
Aspirant

Thanks for the rapid response! I checked the iMac in the device list in that menu and clicked the Refresh button; the MAC address stayed the same, so I infer it's hardware-based.

Message 4 of 7
Fred_Volkert
Aspirant

And yes, Access Control is on.

Message 5 of 7
Fred_Volkert
Aspirant

I've been watching it move using the Orbi app on my phone. Rarely, it boots into the satellite, and then it fails to connect to the internet from start. Usually it boots into the router, and is ok until it moves into the satellite.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fred_Volkert wrote:

(Not having any "fruit" laptops, I am not really up on iMac, but.....)  There should be a specific setting in the Network Settings control panel (or whatever Apple calls it).  Hardware or Randomize.

Just personally, I find the whole Access Control business more trouble than it is worth.  If someone can guess my 25 character WiFi password, they are welcome to use my internet.  I have yet to see a post from anyone remarking, "I just LOVE this Access Control feature."  What happens if Access Control is disabled?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7