Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow LAN speeds on RBR850, half of what I got on my RBR50

ezjoe21
Aspirant

Slow LAN speeds on RBR850, half of what I got on my RBR50

My RBR50 finally gave up the ghost. The firmware was corrupt and I could not figure out how to telnet the firmware to it any longer. So...I replaced my system with an RBR850 and two satellites. The wifi is faster than what we experienced before and seems to be more seamless. However, I used to get 950ish Mb/s to my desktop in my office, and now I get about half that speed. If I swing the cable for my office directly to the cable modem, I am back in the 950 range as expected. Speedtests run from the Orbi management screen show speeds around 1400+ Mb/s. Any ideas on what would be causing such a drop in speed from an RBR50  to an RBR850?

Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Slow LAN speeds on RBR850, half of what I got on my RBR50

The WAN (Internet) port on the RBR850 router is a 2.5GB Ethernet port.  When the Orbi Speed Test reports 1.4GB, that is an indication that the link between the cable modem and the router is running at 1.4GB.

My guess is that the computer has an 'ordinary' Gigabit Ethernet adapter.  That means when the computer is connected to anything, the maximum Ethernet link that can be negotiated is 1GB.  In practice, the maximum throughput on a 1GB Ethernet link is slightly less than a full gigabit because of the overhead in Ethernet transmission.  950ish is pretty typical.

I agree entirely, when

• the modem is delivering 1.4G to the router
  • the Orbi router port is 1G
  • the computer port is 1G

Then the measured speed at the computer should be slightly under 1G ("950ish")  A speed of "half that" is unacceptable. I can think of nothing that would explain how an 850 would produce less speed than a 50.  None.

Fortunately, a new purchase comes with 90 days of "complimentary support" (as opposed to, "you bought it. YOU figure out how to make it work.")  How about registering the new system with Netgear at my.netgear.com and have them explain this?

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@ezjoe21 wrote:

My RBR50 finally gave up the ghost. The firmware was corrupt and I could not figure out how to telnet the firmware to it any longer. So...I replaced my system with an RBR850 and two satellites. The wifi is faster than what we experienced before and seems to be more seamless. However, I used to get 950ish Mb/s to my desktop in my office, and now I get about half that speed. If I swing the cable for my office directly to the cable modem, I am back in the 950 range as expected. Speedtests run from the Orbi management screen show speeds around 1400+ Mb/s. Any ideas on what would be causing such a drop in speed from an RBR50  to an RBR850?

Message 3 of 15
Stra_q
Aspirant

Something that can possibly help is to ensure that the Ethernet Network Adapter is set to link speed to 1Gigabit. It might be set to Auto Negotiation. Please let us know if this helps. 

You can change the link speed from Auto Negotiation to 1000Mbp/s by going to device manager. Then click on Network adapters and double click you ethernet adapter. Then go to advanced tab and click link speed or speed/duplex.

Please let us know if this helps. 

Message 4 of 15
ezjoe21
Aspirant

I opened a ticket this morning. Level 1 escalated to Level 2....that is as far as I have gotten. No response yet for L2.

Message 5 of 15
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Sounds good. If you have a chance/opportunity please try the above comment from @Stra_q 

Message 6 of 15
WRSORBI
Luminary

I would be very interred to hear what L2 has to say. I experienced a very similar condition ever since I upgraded to Windows 11 22H2.  When I revert back to Windows 11 22H1, no problem.  My NIC is set to 1Gbs - no auto negotiation 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Please provide feedback to the questions presented and suggestions made...

@ezjoe21 wrote:

I opened a ticket this morning. Level 1 escalated to Level 2....that is as far as I have gotten. No response yet for L2.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@WRSORBI wrote:

I would be very interred to hear what L2 has to say. I experienced a very similar condition ever since I upgraded to Windows 11 22H2.  When I revert back to Windows 11 22H1, no problem.  My NIC is set to 1Gbs - no auto negotiation 

Message 9 of 15
WRSORBI
Luminary

Hi Robert,

Microsoft was very engaging on this and no traces I provides indicted problems on their end so they suggested I try another manufacturers mesh router again so I borrowed an ASUS Zen WiFi Pro AXE11000 router and had full contracted ISP speed. No problem. Wired and wireless. Bought a RBRE960 with 1 satellite and problem solved on my end.

Netgear had sent me a replacement RBR850 which made no difference but I wasn’t going to invest any more debug time.  Problem may be is a firmware bug in RBR850 code.

Bill

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What region are you located? 

Car to let someone try your 8 series in a different location by chance? 

@WRSORBI wrote:

Hi Robert,

Microsoft was very engaging on this and no traces I provides indicted problems on their end so they suggested I try another manufacturers mesh router again so I borrowed an ASUS Zen WiFi Pro AXE11000 router and had full contracted ISP speed. No problem. Wired and wireless. Bought a RBRE960 with 1 satellite and problem solved on my end.

Netgear had sent me a replacement RBR850 which made no difference but I wasn’t going to invest any more debug time.  Problem may be is a firmware bug in RBR850 code.

Bill

Message 11 of 15
WRSORBI
Luminary

In Houston. Took router to another site and had same issue on any PC that was Windows 11 22H2. PC’s with any version lower did not have that performance problem. Unable to try lower RBR firmware without auto update occurring. No longer have the RBR850.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so no longer have the 850. 

Thanks for the info. 

Message 13 of 15
WRSORBI
Luminary

Also, thanks much for the help along the way.  Wish I could have found a solution. Would have been a lot cheaper. 🤑

Bill  

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation