Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smart Plugs and The Orbi Router

DaveEdmonds
Guide

Smart Plugs and The Orbi Router

Regardless of all the Orbi Fan Boys this system does not play well with many 2.4ghz smart plugs, security cameras and anything else limited to 2.4ghz. The ONLY way I have been able to utilize my 2.4ghz limited devices is to have an old Apple Airport hardwired to the network and use that for any and all 2.4ghz devices that won't readily connect to the Mesh network. Period.

No amount of troubleshooting, resetting, firmware, guest networks, rubbing two unicorn horns together ever has resolved this. While Netgear can't possibly make everything compatible with their mesh network and it is up to the plug manufacturers to do so due to the volume of compatibility issues, it's still a sore spot when you have to go this extreme to have a working 2.4ghz device.

There must be something that they can do to insure at least better compatibilty. Never had this issue with my Apple hardware.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I have a box full of smart plugs, cameras, and other gizmos that people have reported problems with:

• All but one of the  smart plugs connected fine, although I am not impressed with some of the app software.
    Amazon, Aukey, Belkin, Eufy, Feit, JinVoo, KASA, Leviton, Meross, Sonoff, Teckin, Wyze.
    My personal favorite is the TP-Link KASA.
  • Every 2.4G WiFi camera has also connected immediately.  Open the smartphone app. Create a QR code. Show the QR code to the camera, and "Done."

If it's under $30 and available at Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Staples, etc. I'll get one and report in two days. (That's where all those gizmos came from. This hobby is a LOT less costly than playing golf.)

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Might also help to know what Orbi system you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Most of the problems are the IoTs responsibility and fault. They don't realize that there limited development on 2.4Ghz software applications should work on devices that are dual band and that both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are on the same network. Mobile devices prefer 5Ghz always over 2.4Ghz. Wouldn't or shouldn't be that hard for the IoT mfrs too include this with in there setup software. 🙄

Message 3 of 8
DaveEdmonds
Guide

I've gone over this earlier but will post it again. And in addition there are plugs I have that work perfectly fine from the same manufacturer (Kasa) but different models. One is  Kasa power strip and the other is a regular size Kasa plug. It has been the mini style plugs that will not connect unless isolated to a dedicated 2.4ghz connection.

There are two satellites in addition to the main so for a total of three in a 2600sq ft. single story home so coverage should not be an issue. As a matter of fact the Apple Airport I am using as dedicated 2.4ghz connection is farthest away from everything and the mini plugs connect just fine to it through many walls.

The satellites are spaced evenly through the home with one even in the garage I would guess no more then fifty feet apart with signal strengths reported by iStumbler as high. BTW I used to be a tech support and IT manager for Apple before I retired so I am not clueless.

The Orbi router info:  

Firmware Version
V4.6.9.11_2.3.5
  • Model RBR850, 2 year old Arris cable modem that I own, XFinity 1GB cable connection none of which should be an issue and not sure why that's asked.
  • We can on and on forever but logically looking at all the posts on this board regarding connection issues it is not uncommon. I have things working for now but that doesn't make it o.k. for all the various compatibility issues.
  • The other components that would not connect were a Brinks security camera and a Brinks doorbell camera, They both required a dedicated separate 2.4ghz connection.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

I've gone over this earlier but will post it again. And in addition there are plugs I have that work perfectly fine from the same manufacturer (Kasa) but different models. One is  Kasa power strip and the other is a regular size Kasa plug. It has been the mini style plugs that will not connect unless isolated to a dedicated 2.4ghz connection.

There are two satellites in addition to the main so for a total of three in a 2600sq ft. single story home so coverage should not be an issue. As a matter of fact the Apple Airport I am using as dedicated 2.4ghz connection is farthest away from everything and the mini plugs connect just fine to it through many walls.

< For that size of home, two RBS would be too much wifi. You should try during OFF one RBS. Possible that there is too much signals and the device are confused and don't know how to handle all that. I'd even turn OFF both RBS. Reduce the power on the RBR 5Ghz to 25% then walk your setup mobile device out a ways to see if it will connect to the 2.4Ghz single long enough for you to get the devices connected to the system. 

Another suggestion is to use a separate 2.4Ghz wifi router using same SSID name and PW to get the devices connected, once the devices are connected, just turn OFF this 2.4Ghz wifi router and the devices will auto migrate and connect to the Orbi system. I had to do this with two wifi Bulbs I bought. learned that the setup app would detect thru my mobile app with the wifi being in smart connect mode. Again this is a limitation of the IoT mfr set up software. 

The satellites are spaced evenly through the home with one even in the garage I would guess no more then fifty feet apart with signal strengths reported by iStumbler as high. BTW I used to be a tech support and IT manager for Apple before I retired so I am not clueless.

The Orbi router info:  

Firmware Version
V4.6.9.11_2.3.5
  • Model RBR850, 2 year old Arris cable modem that I own, XFinity 1GB cable connection none of which should be an issue and not sure why that's asked. <What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 
  • We can on and on forever but logically looking at all the posts on this board regarding connection issues it is not uncommon. I have things working for now but that doesn't make it o.k. for all the various compatibility issues.
  • The other components that would not connect were a Brinks security camera and a Brinks doorbell camera, They both required a dedicated separate 2.4ghz connection. <See the suggestion of using a 2.4Ghz wifi router to get them connected above. 

If you want separation of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, NGs Orbi 9 series now has a dedicated IoT network section that you can set 2.4Ghz only for those devices that won't connect normally. Something not seen on 7 or 8 series systems and I would guess something that NG would not put in. Were still waiting on Mixed Mode WPA2 and WPA3. 🙄

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@DaveEdmonds wrote:

It has been the mini style plugs that will not connect unless isolated to a dedicated 2.4ghz connection.

Will need a specific model number.  I have KASA

• HS103
  • HS105
  • KP400
  • EP40

all connected immediately while my phone was on the 5G WiFi. No work-around of any kind.

Message 6 of 8
wardendouglasr
Aspirant

I have managed to do this but it is not easy or elegant and I really think they need to fix this.

If you go into the Orbi setting and find the faster band Antenna(s) you can turn them off. Once off you can setup your 2.5gh stuff (note that iPhone will ALWAYS connect to the higher band so in order to do this you must turn off the Wi-Fi antenna(s). Then set up (connect) 2.5gh devices. Now that is done you go back into the Orbi settings and turn the high band(s) back on. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that can't be done on Orbi AX systems. The only method would be to turn OFF all RBS, then turn down the transmit power on the RBR to 25% on the 5Ghz radio, leaving the 2.4Ghz radio at 100%. Then walk the mobile phone out from the RBR enough for the mobile phone to keep connected to the 2.4Ghz radio, then get your IoT devices connected there. This would be one possible method seen on the 3, 7 and 8 series Orbi AX systems. Orbi 9 series has a specific IoT broadcast that can be configured for 2.4Ghz only operation. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7