Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming issues with RBR350 (constant buffering and pixelation) when using Chromecast

relapse_au
Aspirant

Streaming issues with RBR350 (constant buffering and pixelation) when using Chromecast

I've just set up the Orbi RBR350.

I have two satellites and in general most things seem to be okay, but the issue I'm having is that if I stream via Chromecast it constantly keeps buffering and I get low bitrate streams.

I've turned defender off and checked for the latest firmware, but it's not fixed the issue.

Can anyone help???
Message 1 of 6
relapse_au
Aspirant

Re: Streaming issues with RBR350 (constant buffering and pixelation) when using Chromecast

I did a test and in one room the Chromecast gets a 65 link rate and another room it only gets a 5 link rate.

It's a small house and I get a really strong signal in the other room, but for some reason the Chromecast seems to be throttled in there and I have no idea why?

I never had these issues with my old router it's only started since installing the Orbi
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Streaming issues with RBR350 (constant buffering and pixelation) when using Chromecast

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is any of the following enabled? 
Armor, Smart Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter.

Message 3 of 6
relapse_au
Aspirant

For anyone else having similar issues, I am 12+ months on with still zero solution.

What I have been able to find via searching around is that Chromecast dongles don't support upper range 5ghz WIFI channels and the RBR350 for whatever bizarre reason does not allow you to change the 5ghz channel.

Basically if you own a RBR350 and your TV does not natively support Chromecast and you have to buy the USB dongle then you're stuck with 2ghz WIFI and a poor signal.

Very disappointing from both Netgear for not allow people to change the 5ghz channel on this model and Google for not allowing their products to connect to higher 5ghz channels.

Message 4 of 6
relapse_au
Aspirant

Does anyone know anything else I can try? I am on the verge of cutting my losses and just throwing this system in the bin and buying something else.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and ‌‌ satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS‌‌ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is any of the following enabled? 
Armor, Smart Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter.

Hard to help you out if you don't give feedback to the question presented...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series