Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching from wireless backhaul to wired on last satellite--proper reboot process?

Serranopr
Tutor

Switching from wireless backhaul to wired on last satellite--proper reboot process?

I've got an RB853 series (router + 2 satellites) running for the past year.  Comcast GigE service, all working fairly well albeit for a few devices that occasionally drop from the 2.4G network with no known cause.  Sat1 is using a wired ethernet connection, and Sat2 is currently wireless backhauled.  I plan to run some new CAT6 cable from the router directly to Sat2 so that I can switch it to wired backhaul.  This will be done in star configuration with both Sat1 and Sat2 having a direct dedicated ethernet line back to the router.  (Orbi Firmware is updated to V4.6.14.3_2.3.12).

My question is what is the proper process to enable the new wired connection to Sat2?  Is it as simple as power down everything, make the new wired connection to Sat2, and then reboot all of the Orbi's?  Or should I power all down, power up the router, power up Sat1, and then power up Sat2 in its new wired config.  

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Switching from wireless backhaul to wired on last satellite--proper reboot process?

"proper?"  hmmmmm.

If wired backhaul is going to work, the satellite will simply switch over on its own.  Nothing needs to be powered off.

Because this is a new cable installation (which means the connection will consist of:

• A patch cable from the router to patch panel (two plugs)
  • Cable inside the walls (two jacks - one on each end)
  • A patch cable from the wall to the satellite (two plugs)

There are several places where "something might be perfect" and the satellite will not switch over to wired backhaul.

If that happens, most people would temporarily relocate the satellite to be near the router and connect them with a patch cable.  This will validate that the satellite will indeed switch if the cable pathway is correct.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Switching from wireless backhaul to wired on last satellite--proper reboot process?

"proper?"  hmmmmm.

If wired backhaul is going to work, the satellite will simply switch over on its own.  Nothing needs to be powered off.

Because this is a new cable installation (which means the connection will consist of:

• A patch cable from the router to patch panel (two plugs)
  • Cable inside the walls (two jacks - one on each end)
  • A patch cable from the wall to the satellite (two plugs)

There are several places where "something might be perfect" and the satellite will not switch over to wired backhaul.

If that happens, most people would temporarily relocate the satellite to be near the router and connect them with a patch cable.  This will validate that the satellite will indeed switch if the cable pathway is correct.

Message 2 of 6
Serranopr
Tutor

Great--it will be a dedicated patch cable running up in the attic and down into the router through a wall pass through, and at the satellite also through a wall pass through. Direct connection without using keystone jacks and additional patch cords.

I tried to look at the documentation and see if it was as simply as plug and play, and glad to hear that is the case.  The previous wireless backhaul will see a new wired connection and default to that mode.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommend CAT6 LAN cabling. 

Message 4 of 6
Phyber
Luminary

I used solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCA/CCS) with punchdown keystone jacks for ingress and egress to hard wire my sats. Works perfectly. I would imagine that just connecting the sat 2 to the CAT-6 termination would just automatically configure it as a hard wired satellite. If not, just power cycle the system, which probably should be done every now and then anyway.

Message 5 of 6
Serranopr
Tutor

Yes, I chose CAT6 from trueCable and with compatible matched RJ45's and updated my tools.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7