Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TX Rate 1200 Orbi Wifi 6E

306Orbi
Star

TX Rate 1200 Orbi Wifi 6E

Hi There...

I have a Newest Xfinity Modem (Wifi 6E) in Bridge Mode connected via the 10Gig port on the Xfinity Modem to the 10 Gig Port in my Orbit 963E Router.

Orbi Login Speedtest shows Internet speed at 1.4 Gig coming from Modem to the Router.

I am using a M2 Air Mac (which is Wifi 6 capable) to test.

In checking the Mac - wifi the TX Rate is showing at 1200 when I am 3 feet from the Orbi router. My understanding is that this is the maximum speed the MAC wifi can receive.

Speedtest shows a internet speed of 800 MBPS whereas fast.com shows 1.1 Gig. I am testing 3 feet from the router.

Is there a way to improve this TX Rate to a higher number? This will allow me to use the full (or as much as I can) 1.4 Gig Internet Speed I am receiving from Xfinity to the Router.

Thanks very much in advance.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: TX Rate 1200 Orbi Wifi 6E

Check with Apple to see what they design and support on the Mac. Most laptops are only 2x2 mimo supproting so even though it's wifi 6 supporting, you may only see 1300Mpbs due to it's limiation. My MBP 2018 is only wifi 5 and it maxes out at 1300Mpbs on 5Ghz AC though some routers support 1733Mpbs on 5Ghz AC at 160Mhz. 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 2 of 8
306Orbi
Star

Thanks for responding...

The Apple M2 Mac Air has the following Specs:

Wifi 802.11ax Wi Fi 6 Wirless Networking

I found in my ORBI Login setup, under Wireless Setup - Wireless Settings for the 6 GHZ Channel, the channel number selected was 69 But in the Mac wireless settings this channel was not available - so I switched the Orbo 6 GHZ to 149 as this is available also in the Mac.

Also turned on IPV6 to On in the Orbi (this was disabled before) and set it to DHCP and Lan Setup to Use DHCP Server. Not sure if I needed to turn on IpV6 but I did that anyway.

Now all I need is to set the Mac to use Channel 149 .... please let me know if this can be done as I am guessing that since the 6GHZ is assigned to 149 and I connect the Mac to 149 that should give me the Wifi 6 Connectivity.

I attached the Mac connectivity details in this post.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi only allows channels to be set on 5Ghz between 36 and 48. All the higher channels are used for the wireless backhaul between the RBR and RBS. Those can not be configured. 

Check with Apple to see what the max connection rate is for your Apple device. 

Message 4 of 8
306Orbi
Star

Also under Wireless Setup - Wireless Settings - I have checked YES to 6Ghz Wireless Settings and see a SSID.

This SSID is not being broadcasted by Orbi... as I don't see it on my iPhone Max 13 or the M2 Mac Air.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you set a new unique SSID name on the main WLAN settings? Try RBKE960 as a temporary name. 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser to set up the RBR. Turn OFF any RBS for now. 

Message 6 of 8
306Orbi
Star

I just finished talking to Apple... The M2 Mac Air Can Connect at upto 9.6 Gigs Tx Rate (speed).

I think I need my Orbi router to broadcast the 6 Ghz SSID (wifi 6) and once I Grab that I will see the higher connection unto 9,6 Gigs

Reset will be a huge amount of work... so I will try to figure out how I can get it to broadcast Wifi 6...

Will let you know once I find success.

Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@306Orbi wrote:

I just finished talking to Apple... The M2 Mac Air Can Connect at upto 9.6 Gigs Tx Rate (speed).

Don't confuse link rate with what realistic wireless speeds you can experience.  For example, for Wi-Fi 6 (on 5Ghz, not 6e on 5Ghz) this Google page shows that Macs over wireless still peak out at 700 Mbps max.  You may get better with Wi-Fi 6e but I still don't think you'll see realistic speeds very close to your upstream provider max of 1400 Mbps.

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi%2Ccomputers-wi-fi%2Cco...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7