Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

This firmware update ran automatically on my RBK752 this morning

MichaelT1972
Aspirant

This firmware update ran automatically on my RBK752 this morning

This firmware update ran automatically on my RBK752 this morning, and i have now spent about 7 hours rebooting it, resetting it, resetting again, reconfiguring it, and still only 11 devices will connect...

Honestly, i've had it with this product, it is complete garbage.... it completely fails on every regard.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: This firmware update ran automatically on my RBK752 this morning

Do you have the RBK753 or the RBK653? This thread is for the 650 series Orbi. Not the 750 series. 

What FW had been loaded on the system?

I have my 750 series online and working fine with most current version of FW. I manually update my systems. You might manually re-load FW on the RBS first then RBR lastly using a wired PC and web browser. 

How many devices do you have? I have almost 40 connected devices. 

@MichaelT1972 wrote:

This firmware update ran automatically on my RBK752 this morning, and i have now spent about 7 hours rebooting it, resetting it, resetting again, reconfiguring it, and still only 11 devices will connect...

Honestly, i've had it with this product, it is complete garbage.... it completely fails on every regard.

Message 2 of 6
MichaelT1972
Aspirant

So i'm not sure if this is the right group to put this in, netgear sure don't make finding solutions easy.

It seems that this firmware update to my RBK752 happened almost exactly at the same time as a power serge yesterday.... and now i'm having all sorts of problems.

Originally i was connecting via a provider modem to fibre, and the orbi just did the wifi for the various devices about the house (around 70).... it did a passable job.

As of this firmware update, i'm luck if half of the devices will connect.  My phone won't connect at all and the orbi app cannot even find the device itself, i can only access it when cable connected directly to the router.  After faffing about for 8 hours yesterday, and four hours today, i've removed the provider modem and plugged orbi directly into the ONT following the NG guide, that seems to work, i have internet by way of cable plugged in, however, still no luck with wifi....

I've reset it i don't know how many times, i've changed the settings for wifi strength as another person recommended (from 100 down to 50), i've changed the wifi channels, and none of it has achieved anything.

I don't know if the power serge has been the main problem here, but resetting it should return it to a useable state shouldn't it, so can anyone clarify in laymans terms what might be wrong and why none of my smart home or the bullk of my other devices will connect to wifi - the one satellite is also sporadic and mostly shows a pink light, not amber or blue...

The lack of support/advice from actual netgear is a huge failure in my head, this thing was nearly 1000 bucks down here in NZ and you get nothing for that at all but this unreliable thing, and no support past 90 days.  Anyways, i'm over it, after hours of problems, if anyone can suggest a harder reset method maybe that will help?  Sorry to sound like a whiner, i'm incredibly frustrated.

Message 3 of 6
MichaelT1972
Aspirant

just to add maybe a followup - so after downgrading firmware and connecting the satellite via a cable to the router, i seem to be able to get devices to reconnect, some of them but not all... but the main issues seems to be that they connect, then almost as fast drop off again, the 'connected devices' lists keeps showing then dropping devices, without an stability at all, and the bulk of devices including iphone still won't connect to wifi at all....

Message 4 of 6
MichaelT1972
Aspirant

My apologies I must has misread the title of the group - i think it is the 4.6.14.3 on the RBS752 that i have also.  I've downgraded back to the previous firmware but the same issue remains, devices connect randomly and disconnect just as randomly.... so no stability across the network.  There are about 55 devices in total.  Anyways, sorry to have posted in the wrong place. M

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How many RBS do you have deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

I recommend you manually update back to v.3 using a wired PC and web browser. Update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. After FW has been sent, power OFF the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 1 full minute, then back on with the ISP modem first, RBR next, then RBS. I factory reset mine and setup from scratch. So you might do this as well. I only have around 35 devices connected with mine. I also set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only:

Untitled.png

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7