Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tool or app to for diagnostics of wifi performance issues?

Mooose
Luminary

Tool or app to for diagnostics of wifi performance issues?

I would like to be able to document RSSI, noise, upload/download speed and latency continuously while moving around the space my Orbi 850 supposedly covers in order to identify problem spots, ideally with the option of creating a heat map on a drawing of the property.

I've done some searching and tried a few of the results, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Is there a tool I can buy, or phone or computer app I can use, to accomplish this?

Any recommendations? (Or suggestions for terminology I should use to continue looking on my own?)

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

I know of no tool that will "Do it all." 

• Signal Level - yes.
  • Noise - ??
  • Latency - ??
  • Download speed - ??

I first used NetSpot on a Windows laptop and found that balancing the laptop while trying to click on the screen was a nightmare. Probably the newer "combo" laptop/tablet computers would be much better (but I don't have one).

I have been very satisfied with Wifi Heat Map - Survey for Android on a tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.wifianalyzer.heatmap&hl=en_US&gl=US 

@FURRYe38 is correct that a smartphone screen is too small to be practical.

This app:

• Allows you to import an image to use as a background.
  • Allows you to select which WiFi access points will be monitored
    (Each access point has one 2.4G and one 5G "user facing" radio. With one router and three satellites, there are four 2.4G radios and four 5G radios to monitor.  If you were interested, you could make a Heat Map of a neighbor's WiFi system to see how well it covers your house!)
  • Walk around the house, stop, and click on the diagram. Then it takes a few seconds to cycle through all the radios and record signal level.
  • When done, the app will create one Heat Map at a time for each radio, which can be saved or printed.  Here's an example of one:

CrimpOn_0-1667405117911.png

This is the 5G radio signal from an access point on the floor above (my original Orbi router).  People constantly complained, "why is the WiFi so bad in the living room and dining room?  Here is the Heat Map from the Orbi satellite on the ground floor:

CrimpOn_1-1667405578139.png

No more complaints.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Look for WiFi Analyzers on Apple or Googles Store for pads. Pad version seem to have more features than what comes available for mobile phones. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I know of no tool that will "Do it all." 

• Signal Level - yes.
  • Noise - ??
  • Latency - ??
  • Download speed - ??

I first used NetSpot on a Windows laptop and found that balancing the laptop while trying to click on the screen was a nightmare. Probably the newer "combo" laptop/tablet computers would be much better (but I don't have one).

I have been very satisfied with Wifi Heat Map - Survey for Android on a tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.wifianalyzer.heatmap&hl=en_US&gl=US 

@FURRYe38 is correct that a smartphone screen is too small to be practical.

This app:

• Allows you to import an image to use as a background.
  • Allows you to select which WiFi access points will be monitored
    (Each access point has one 2.4G and one 5G "user facing" radio. With one router and three satellites, there are four 2.4G radios and four 5G radios to monitor.  If you were interested, you could make a Heat Map of a neighbor's WiFi system to see how well it covers your house!)
  • Walk around the house, stop, and click on the diagram. Then it takes a few seconds to cycle through all the radios and record signal level.
  • When done, the app will create one Heat Map at a time for each radio, which can be saved or printed.  Here's an example of one:

CrimpOn_0-1667405117911.png

This is the 5G radio signal from an access point on the floor above (my original Orbi router).  People constantly complained, "why is the WiFi so bad in the living room and dining room?  Here is the Heat Map from the Orbi satellite on the ground floor:

CrimpOn_1-1667405578139.png

No more complaints.

Message 3 of 4
Mooose
Luminary

Thanks, @FURRYe38, I have done that. I was hoping for something a little more specific, preferably with some personal experience and an endorsement. 🙂

Thanks, @CrimpOn! I don't have any Android devices, but NetSpot looks promising, I'll try that and report back.

If I understand this table correctly, I'll need at least the Home version in order to create a heat map, is that correct?

https://www.netspotapp.com/help/what-is-the-difference-between-netspot-free-scanner-reporter-and-pro...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7