Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updated and working, but "failed"...do I care?

MiddKid
Guide

Updated and working, but "failed"...do I care?

I have an RBR850 router with five satellites...two 850s and three 750s. Checked the firmware on my phone this morning and ran the update.

• After the update, the router said "Update failed" (but listed the correct firmware) while one of the satellites was on an old firmware
  • I manually updated the satellite via a web browser
  • Router was still saying "Update failed" so I downloaded the firmware file and manually updated the router. It even gave me the "you're updating to the same version" message. 

Now that all that is finished, all the satellites say "No new firmware available" while the router still says "Update failed." Everything seems to be working fine and the router is, in fact, on the latest firmware of 4.6.14.3 (see screenshot). I'm inclined just to leave it and hope it self resolves with the next firmware update but wanted to get a second opinion here. Side note, if I try to check the firmware via the phone app it says "Firmware Check Error."

Thanks all.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 8.16.06 AM.png

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Updated and working, but "failed"...do I care?

If the FW was applied thru the AU on the RBR or if you manually updated the system, RBS first, then RBR lastly, you should be fine. 

You might power cycle OFF the ISP modem and RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@MiddKid wrote:

I'm inclined just to leave it and hope it self resolves with the next firmware update but wanted to get a second opinion here.

My opinion is that the programmer who wrote the Update Software web page was imprecise in the language used to describe what was going on.  When I select the "Check" button on the web interface, I am amused to see the words "Downloading firmware" appear by router and satellites, until it changes to "No new firmware available".  Huh?  Why was new firmware being downloaded if it does not exist?  Oh, what if "downloading" really means, "looking for"?

I believe that "Update Failed" means that the process of looking for new firmware did not succeed.

It could be that English was not the programmer's primary language and that the description in another language is more precise?

Message 3 of 5
MiddKid
Guide

Thanks both. Logged back in after an hour or so and now the failure message went away and it's back to no update available. I guess it was just a momentary glitch.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7