Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgraded Orbi router - CenturyLink can no longer connect

FURRYe38
Guru

So ethernet connected to ports 1 and 2 you have problems and then plugging into ports 3 and 4 on the RBR you don't have problems and things are good? 

Message 26 of 34
bullm00n
Luminary

Two different 960, both with bad ports, seems unlikely.  I suppose it could happen if a bad batch got out.

I would test those same ports with a different device/computer and different jumper cable.  In fact, I'd use the plainest old CAT5e cable you have or even CAT5 if you have any relics.  And I say that because in my testing, short patches don't really matter.  I have used 10' CAT5 cables from the 90s as a test and they work fine.  Even the cable that comes in the box with the 960 is only CAT5e.  At any rate, there has to be some weird combo going on there...or that unlikely as heck, bad batch of 960s.  I have CAT5e all over our house and maybe even CAT5 - whatever they were using in 1996 when it was built! 😄 And my 960 and wired SATs work like a champ.

Good luck.

Message 27 of 34

That's correct. Anytime I connect to Ports 1 and 2, I do have a connection, but it's extremely slow. Speed test fails every time, always. Google.com takes about 1-2 minutes to load. Browsing websites with images is slow and images never load. They always show a broken image icon. When I mean slow I mean painfully slow. I wish I could tell you the speed, but the test fails every time.

Ports 3 and 4 have no issues. But this happened on the original RBR 960 and the replacement

Message 28 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like if this is happening on two different 960s, something your connecting to ports 1 and 2 maybe causing problems? 

What is the brand and model of the device and if this is a PC, what is the brand and model of the ethernet adapter? 

And does this happen with only one device or happens with others? 

Message 29 of 34

It's the MacBook Pro I mentioned earlier. It does this on all devices though. No matter what I plug into Ports 1 and 2 it's the same. Plugging in a Orbi satellite, a PS5, Apple TV, Windows PC, same issue occurs. Even plugging these devices into the satellite that's plugged into ports 1 or 2, same issue.

I've tried everything I can think of but no luck

Message 30 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Has NG support responded to your feedback with this problem being seen across two RBRs? 

Message 31 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

So any updates or progress on this? 😉

Message 32 of 34

It seems there is a bug with the Orbi 960 and 970 Series with CenturyLink PPOE. I switched my ISP to Quantum Fiber since CenturyLink is pushing it heavily in Seattle to switch. Now that I've switched to Quantum (which doesn't use PPOE) I have had no issues. Hopefully Netgear can resolve the bug for other CenturyLink PPOE users.

Message 33 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Thank you for letting us know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7