Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Orbi System - can I just swap out my old Orbi System ?

MacHeadNJ
Initiate

Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Orbi System - can I just swap out my old Orbi System ?

I have an older Orbi system (an RBR 50 with 3 satellites).  Works well.  But I'm thinking of going to an Orbi Wifi 6 system (RBK 753) with several satellites.

If i bring in a new Orbi wifi 6 router and some new satellites, will the Orbi app just realize i am upgrading an existing Orbi system, and somehow facilitate the upgrade (swap out passwords, connection settings, etc) ?  

Or am i setting this up as an entirely new network ?  

I have a whole house full of older equipment (like Honeywell Lyric water sensors) which will require me to manually go into to each device and connect it to a new network.  

Hoping to avoid that pain !  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Orbi System - can I just swap out my old Orbi System ?

You'll have to input the SSID names and PWs you want to use when you go to set up the orbi AX system. It's will be as a new system setup. You can use and is recommended to use same SSID name and PWs from other Orbi system that orbi AX would be replacing. RBS from Orbi AC isn't fully compatible with Orbi AX yet. 

Be sure to post about Orbi AX over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Orbi System - can I just swap out my old Orbi System ?

@MacHeadNJ wrote:

I have a whole house full of older equipment (like Honeywell Lyric water sensors) which will require me to manually go into to each device and connect it to a new network.   

If you set up the new system with exactly the same SSID/password as the previous WiFi router, then devices which previously connected to the old system will connect to the new one.  (This makes is easy to "go back" if you want to.)

Of course, if you have customized the old system to do things such as assign specific IP addresses to devices, that will have to be set up in the new system.  Otherwise, they will connect and get whatever IP address the new WiFi system offers them.

Message 3 of 5
MacHeadNJ
Initiate

BTW, thanks for your comments.   I swapped-in the new Orbi Wfi6 system.  Used the identical SSID and password of the old system.  All 50+ devices on my network connected to the new Wifi 6 system.  No problem.  

Works great.   

Thanks again.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well or you. Its nice when you can keep using the same SSID name and password. 

See you over in the Orbi AX forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@MacHeadNJ wrote:

BTW, thanks for your comments.   I swapped-in the new Orbi Wfi6 system.  Used the identical SSID and password of the old system.  All 50+ devices on my network connected to the new Wifi 6 system.  No problem.  

Works great.   

Thanks again.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7