Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use another router to repeat mesh wifi outdoors

rayjai
Guide

Use another router to repeat mesh wifi outdoors

Hi, I have poor wifi signal outside my home, I am trying to have the wifi reach the gated entrance of my home. Is it ok for me to use my old non-mesh wifi router to repeat the signal? will it still somewhat be seamless? I'm doing this for a doorbell camera. Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use another router to repeat mesh wifi outdoors

What orbi model do you have? 
What router do you have? It depends, if this model router has a repeater function support, it maybe possible to use this to repeat the signal from the Orbi system. If no, the only other option with this router would be to ethernet connect it and configure AP mode on the router which would make it its' own wifi signal and would need to use separate SSID name and channels far apart from what the Orbi system uses. 

Other suggestion would be to try a EX7500, 7700, 8000 or EAX30 or EAX80 wifi extenders. 

Message 2 of 7
rayjai
Guide

I have the RBS750, my old router is a Tenda ac1500. The Tenda has these repeating options, WISP and Client+AP.

I would like to keep the SSID the same if possible, if not, i guess i'll have to change it then,

What's the difference between, EX7500, 7700, 8000 or EAX30 or EAX80 wifi extenders and another satellite? 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to contact Tenda for additional help and information regarding there product. 

EX and EAX do same thing however wont' have the wireless/wire backhaul support or UI integrate into the system like the RBS will. 

Message 4 of 7
rayjai
Guide

I know how to setup the repeater, but I'm not sure if it's ok for the wifi signals to mix if they have the same SSID. I'm not familiar with how wifi signals work.

Would the ex2700 work?

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As long as the distances between the repeater is at a good range, say 30 feet from the RBR or RBS, to find the good wifi over lap between them you'll be fine. 

Something to try and see. I have a EX7500 and 7700 and they work when I had them connected. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@rayjai wrote:

I'm doing this for a doorbell camera. Thanks!

Any decent WiFi repeater will work for this application. There is no need to "mesh" because the doorbell cannot roam between access points.  It does not even have to be on the same channel or have the same WiFi name (SSID) as the primary system.  (I would argue to keep it entirely separate.  The doorbell has to be configured only one time.)

The issues I see are:

• Distance  (how far is it?)
  • Power

If the Orbi network does not extend a strong enough signal from the house to the gate, I have a concern that any WiFi access point located in the house will do so. Perhaps located in a window facing the gate will work.

The most common placement for WiFi extenders is at a point where the primary WiFi signal is "good enough" to get a satisfactory link to the primary WiFi system and "close enough" to the desired service point for the device to get a strong enough signal.  People often opt for "in the middle" (half-way).  There is probably no source of electrical power between the house and the gate.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7