Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Utilizing the VPN Server on Orbi RBR50

DocRJNC
Tutor

Utilizing the VPN Server on Orbi RBR50

I currently have a Net Orbi RBR50 with two satellites.  I want to set up the VPN server that is included with the package and thereby protect all my laptops / mobile devices.

Has anyone had any success with this option?  I tried to set it up, but it kept asking for a ddns entry which I am not familiar with.  It won't let me save my configuration without using the ddns.

Does the RBK853 require the ddns setting?  (I am expecting this to arrive sometime today).

Thanks for all the help, the Orbi's are great, but a take a little time to configure to maximize all the functionality.

In advance, I thank you for helping me create a safe internet environment for my family.

Robert

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Utilizing the VPN Server on Orbi RBR50

@DocRJNC wrote:

thereby protect all my laptops / mobile devices.

Sorry, this  is not the intent of the OpenVPN feature included in Netgear routers.  Netgear provides a VPN "Host" which allows devices on the internet to connect to devices on the router Local Area Network (LAN).  It appears that what you are seeking is a VPN "Client" which encapsulates the traffice from all devices on the LAN and sends it through a VPN tunnel to the internet.

There are some routers which have VPN Client capability, but the Orbi RBR850 is not one of them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Utilizing the VPN Server on Orbi RBR50

@DocRJNC wrote:

thereby protect all my laptops / mobile devices.

Sorry, this  is not the intent of the OpenVPN feature included in Netgear routers.  Netgear provides a VPN "Host" which allows devices on the internet to connect to devices on the router Local Area Network (LAN).  It appears that what you are seeking is a VPN "Client" which encapsulates the traffice from all devices on the LAN and sends it through a VPN tunnel to the internet.

There are some routers which have VPN Client capability, but the Orbi RBR850 is not one of them.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7