Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Video call jitters / latency

psheld
Tutor

Re: Video call jitters / latency

Thanks @schumaku. I'll take your word for it that buffers don't feature so much when a connection is wireless versus wired.

We still have the fact that wireless connections are a bit crappy for video conferencing, but wired is perfect. And the bufferbloat test grades the former A and the latter C, so you can perhaps see why I latched onto it.

I haven't got anything else to go on at the  moment!

Message 26 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried letting the RBR auto detect the ISP DNS then test and not use Quad 9? 

@psheld wrote:

Thanks as always for brainstorming here, but why would the DNS provider make a difference?

We have no problem with any device with a wired connection to either satellite. Waveform bufferbloat grade A 🙂 But we do when connecting wirelessly.

The DNS is the same whether we have wired or wireless connection.

🤔

Message 27 of 32
psheld
Tutor

Life got in the way. But at the moment it looks like I might have the time to follow your instructions @FURRYe38 this coming weekend.

I think I'm also going to try a range extender for the iMac-concretewall-cat5satellite combo because it really is a crappy connection as it stands. Miserable. Would the following do the job? ...

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/eax12/

Message 28 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try of course. 

Message 29 of 32
psheld
Tutor

It is something to try @FURRYe38. I don't expect adding an extender will solve the jitter, but it should at least improve the wireless connection to what seems to be the most challenging part of our home — which just happens to be where the desk and iMac are located!!

Saying that, given how challenging I've found using the Orbi RBR750 + 2x RBS750, I'm hesitant to add a non-mesh-wifi extender to a mesh system. Perhaps I should just try another RBS750 with wireless backhaul to the wired one in the neighbouring room?

And now I've just found a refurbished RBR750 locally at a bargain price. So could I have our current RBR750 connected with wired backhaul to one of our RBS750, and with wired backhaul to this refurbed RBR750, which will then connect wirelessly to our second RBS750?

Here's a quick schematic just in case my description leaves something to be desired.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 14.06.40.png

I won't buy it until someone more expert than me here says go for it!

Message 30 of 32
psheld
Tutor

I think I may have answered my own question about using a RBR750 (router) in lieu of a RBS750 (satellite). It would work, but the additional router would broadcast a different SSID to my current router, which is not what I'm looking for.

Message 31 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be kinda scary for the one wireless RBS maybe however I would presume if you sync the wireless RBS to the 2nd RBR thats in AP mode behind the 1st RBR and your using different channels far appart and different SSID names, that could work ok. 

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7