Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN / LAN throughput on RBR750 when using PPPoE

dbrb2
Apprentice

WAN / LAN throughput on RBR750 when using PPPoE

I am looking at using an RBK753 on my home network, which is a kit consisting of an RBR750 router and 2 satelite nodes. 

The house has 1Gbps down, 300 up, provided over fibre, which I access via a fibre modem, authenticating using PPPoE

In the past, I have struggled to find a router than can cope with the WAN/LAN throughput at these speeds when using PPPoE - often giving me only ~500Mbps down. Using openWRT on a raspberry Pi has given me the best solution so far. 

However, I would ideally like to use the Orbi as my router and dispense with the pi. 

There seem to be multiple threads discussing if the Orbi RBR750 can cope with gigabit WAN speeds. This post suggested yes, but was scant on detail: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Gigabit-PPPOE-fixed/m-p/2113037#M122680

Does anyone have a more definitive answer? 

Cheers! 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WAN / LAN throughput on RBR750 when using PPPoE

The 7 series is supporing of near 900Mpbs on WAN to LAN configurations. Unsure about PPPoE as my ISP doesn't use that protocol. They use DHCP.

You migth give the 7 series a try and see for your self if it works for your ISP services. I presume it will. 

Message 2 of 4
dbrb2
Apprentice

Thanks - yes, looking at the various posts the bottleneck seems to come when using PPPoE. There is quite a lot of overhead to routing close to 1000 Mbps from WAN to LAN, and it seems some hw/fw combinations are not capable of doing that 

Worst case I can return the kit after testing if it is a problem but it would be neater to find out beforer purchasing if threre will be a proiblem if at all possible 🙂 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Historically PPPoE connections have been problematic for users. 

Yes, can definately try something out to see if it works.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7