Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What can be used as a wireless Hub/switch?

mgpaulus
Aspirant

What can be used as a wireless Hub/switch?

I just upgraded my RBR50 with an RBR850, and I upgraded my RBS40/RBS50 units with RBS750s.  However, I have one question that I wondered if anyone has any insights into:

My son's room doesn't have a wired connection, and his room is about 20 feet from the office (and the RBK850), on the same level.  So, basically, a couple of walls between the RBS750 we are using as a connection point for his computer and the main router. 

My concern is that the RBS750 and the RBR850, being so close together might be causing RF interference with each other.  Basically I am wondering if there is a device that will allow for a passive WIFI6 connection that would allow me to connect either a regular hub, or would act as a wireless hub so I don't have to have an RBS750 in his room??

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What can be used as a wireless Hub/switch?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You should be able to have the RBS in his room. IF it's kind of close to the RBR in the office, tryturning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You could try power line adapters:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wired/powerline/

However you'd still need to turn down the power on the RBR if still having the RBS kind of close to the RBR.

Message 2 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: What can be used as a wireless Hub/switch?

@mgpaulus wrote:

My son's room doesn't have a wired connection, and his room is about 20 feet from the office (and the RBK850), on the same level.  So, basically, a couple of walls between the RBS750 we are using as a connection point for his computer and the main router. 

My concern is that the RBS750 and the RBR850, being so close together might be causing RF interference with each other. 

I don't think this should be of concern.  You don't need more satellites within 20 ft of each other, even with walls in between, and the wireless connected Orbi satellites work just fine.  If your son is not having Internet connectivity problems from his room then don't worry about it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7