Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why does Orbi not register local devices in DNS

Hsubtnarg
Aspirant

Why does Orbi not register local devices in DNS

I love my Orbi's, I think they are great and do everything that I want, except allow me to access the devices on my local network by their names. You have to use their IP address which can of course change, you can make them static, but this is still a pain. My previous router allowed devices to register their names and I thought this was a pretty standard feature of routers these days.

The Orbi already has the names of devices as you can see in the admin console, so it must be getting them from the clients when they try to register in DNS, it just doesn't serve them back to other clients. So if anyone from Netgear is listening, could you please add this feature at some stage 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why does Orbi not register local devices in DNS

What Orbi model do you have? 

If you have a Orbi AX system, give sign up for the beta FW that's available at the top of this forum. 

Something to post here about:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

@Hsubtnarg wrote:

I love my Orbi's, I think they are great and do everything that I want, except allow me to access the devices on my local network by their names. You have to use their IP address which can of course change, you can make them static, but this is still a pain. My previous router allowed devices to register their names and I thought this was a pretty standard feature of routers these days.

The Orbi already has the names of devices as you can see in the admin console, so it must be getting them from the clients when they try to register in DNS, it just doesn't serve them back to other clients. So if anyone from Netgear is listening, could you please add this feature at some stage 

Message 2 of 3
Hsubtnarg
Aspirant

Re: Why does Orbi not register local devices in DNS

I have an RBR750 and a RBS750, are they part of the beta testing. I have registered.

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7