Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why on an RBR350 can I not disable WIFI?

NotAN3tG3arFan
Aspirant

Why on an RBR350 can I not disable WIFI?

I've just setup my ISP provided Netgear RBR350 Internet router.

It gives me no option to turn off the router's WIFI, because I already have my own WIFI APs.

Why provide advanced features like WIFI 6 and yet degrade your product by limiting its ability to be useful?

All this does is make interference in the WIFI rf bands.

Please upgrade the firmware to provide the disable function for WIFI.

Thank You.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
NotAN3tG3arFan
Aspirant

Yes the ISP is the issue here, providing a router that has limited functionality.

I will not be turning off my own APs to use the WIFI on the RBR350, because my APs are already meshed and working outdoors as well as indoors.

I only asked as I have never come across a home router that did not provide the ability to disable the WIFI.

Ah well, thanks for the conversation.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

@NotAN3tG3arFan wrote:

It gives me no option to turn off the router's WIFI, because I already have my own WIFI APs.

Why provide advanced features like WIFI 6 and yet degrade your product by limiting its ability to be useful?

I'm puzzled. You want to turn off the WiFi from the router but you think WiFi 6 is an advanced feature?

Turn off the WiFi and WiFi 6 becomes a useless, dead feature.

You bought a WiFi router. Most routers provide WiFi. Orbi routers are a bad choice if someone wants to turn off the WiFi.

Netgear still sells routers with a WfiFi on/off switch.

Most routers offer the option to disable SSID broadcast.

For routers that allow you to turn off the WiFi, look for devices that do not describe themselves as Mesh routers. The whole point of Mesh is to improve WiFi performance. That is why most Mesh routers come in bundles with satellites,like the RBK352/RBK533. So the number of people who buy a Mesh router and don't want to use the WiFi is probably vanishingly small, especially when there are alternatives out there.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

All Orbi systems do not offer the ability to disable WiFi. It would negate the design and intended use of MESH systems and the wireless backhaul that MESH systems are designed to use. There meant to be ONLINE ALL the time. IF this is something you need then I would return the system and find you something else that offers what your looking for.

@NotAN3tG3arFan wrote:

I've just setup my ISP provided Netgear RBR350 Internet router.

All this does is make interference in the WIFI rf bands.

Please upgrade the firmware to provide the disable function for WIFI.

Thank You.

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@NotAN3tG3arFan wrote:

I've just setup my ISP provided Netgear RBR350 Internet router..

This is an issue for the ISP.  It is indeed common for ISPs to provide WiFi routers to customers because these days every customer wants WiFi.  Many ISPs supply devices which can disable WiFi so that customers can use their own systems and some provide the ability to place their device in "bridge" or "pass through" mode so that customers can use their own router.

Most ISPs have options for which equipment to provide to the customer.

Message 4 of 12

@CrimpOn wrote:

@NotAN3tG3arFan wrote:

I've just setup my ISP provided Netgear RBR350 Internet router..

This is an issue for the ISP.  It is indeed common for ISPs to provide WiFi routers to customers because these days every customer wants WiFi.  Many ISPs supply devices which can disable WiFi so that customers can use their own systems and some provide the ability to place their device in "bridge" or "pass through" mode so that customers can use their own router.

Good point. In this case, it might be easier for @NotAN3tG3arFan to look for ways of turning off the WiFi from their modem/router.

I chip in because that is what I had to do with the modem/router from my ISP. That comes nowhere near the capability of my Netgear MK93 Mesh system. But the modem/router does not have a simple bridge or passthrough option.

Instead I had a simple alternative. Look at the settings of the modem/router. Find where it has settings for its "DMZ". (In my case it was  Firewall setting.) Check the IP address in the modem/router for my MK90 and use that as the DMZ address.

This means that I can turn off the WiFi from the modem./router and use the Netgear device as my main router and WiFi source.

So, turn the question on its head. Don't ask about the Orbi's WiFi, ask about the ISP's router and its WiFi.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

The ISP provided router is the Orbi 350.  After seeing so many ISPs team up with eero (Amazon), I was surprised to see an ISP providing Netgear.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Not the first time ISPs have provided NG equipment. Verizon used to provide Orbi 50 series with there own FW on them historically.

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

And we saw how that worked out for Verizon customers.  Not a single firmware update ever.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Why users came to the forums to see if they could get NG stock FW loaded which for some, worked. 🙄

Message 9 of 12

@CrimpOn wrote:

And we saw how that worked out for Verizon customers.  Not a single firmware update ever.

That's the problem. If it comes from an ISP rather than Netgear there's a chance that a router has carefully crafted firmware that is out of line with the "official" releases.

When that happens, there is sometimes a tag in the model number that screams "Not supported by Netgear, go pester your ISP".

Message 10 of 12
NotAN3tG3arFan
Aspirant

Yes the ISP is the issue here, providing a router that has limited functionality.

I will not be turning off my own APs to use the WIFI on the RBR350, because my APs are already meshed and working outdoors as well as indoors.

I only asked as I have never come across a home router that did not provide the ability to disable the WIFI.

Ah well, thanks for the conversation.

Message 11 of 12

@NotAN3tG3arFan wrote:

Were they Mesh routers?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7